Tortoise diet questions

MakJ

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hello! I am getting a Hermann’s tortoise in July and am trying to research a variety of weeds and plants that my tortoise will be able to eat. I just purchased Hibiscus Rosa-sinensis and three African violets. I also purchased seeds for cat grass that include oat grass, rye grass, and a few other grasses i know tortoises can eat. As well as lamb's lettuce seeds. I am planning to buy more plants so I can have a varied diet for my tort as well as feeding them mazuri tortoise diet. I have been curious though if tortoises can eat both the flower and the leaves for safe plants? i've been using tortoise table website as a guide and it doesn't really specify if thats the case. Also, any recommendations on more plants i can have easy access to and grow indoors?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! I am getting a Hermann’s tortoise in July and am trying to research a variety of weeds and plants that my tortoise will be able to eat. I just purchased Hibiscus Rosa-sinensis and three African violets. I also purchased seeds for cat grass that include oat grass, rye grass, and a few other grasses i know tortoises can eat. As well as lamb's lettuce seeds. I am planning to buy more plants so I can have a varied diet for my tort as well as feeding them mazuri tortoise diet. I have been curious though if tortoises can eat both the flower and the leaves for safe plants? i've been using tortoise table website as a guide and it doesn't really specify if thats the case. Also, any recommendations on more plants i can have easy access to and grow indoors?
Hello and welcome.

Any store bought decorative plants will have systemic pesticides that can last for a year. Grow your own from seed or from cuttings off of long established plants.

Hermanni are not a grass eating species. That time and effort would be better spent growing more broadleaf weeds. Grass won't harm them, but that is not their primary food source.

Yes, they can eat the flowers and the leaves of tortoise safe plants.

Give this a read through. There is a heating/lighting breakdown and a temperate care sheet at the bottom.

More suggestion here:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

jamesbond08

Pakistan
Congratulations on your upcoming Hermann's tortoise! It's great to see that you're doing thorough research to provide a varied and nutritious diet for your new pet. Creating an indoor garden with safe plants is a fantastic idea to ensure a fresh and diverse food source.

Regarding the Hibiscus Rosa-sinensis and African violets you've purchased, both are safe for tortoises to consume. While some tortoises may not be attracted to the flowers, they can certainly nibble on the leaves.

For additional plants to add to your indoor garden, here are a few suggestions:

1. Spider Plant (Chlorophytum comosum): This plant is safe for tortoises, and its leaves are quite appealing to them. Spider plants are relatively easy to care for and can thrive indoors.
  2. Nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus): Both the leaves and flowers of nasturtiums are edible for tortoises. These plants have bright, attractive flowers and can be grown indoors or outdoors.
  3. Mulberry (Morus spp.): Mulberry leaves are highly nutritious for tortoises. They are typically well-liked by tortoises, and you can consider growing a dwarf or potted variety indoors.
  4. Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale): Dandelion leaves and flowers are excellent additions to a tortoise's diet. These plants are easy to find and often grow as weeds in lawns or gardens.
  5. Plantain (Plantago spp.): Both broadleaf and ribwort plantains are safe and nutritious for tortoises. These plants are common and easily grown indoors or outdoors.

I have also one Eastern Hermann Tortoise (Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri) and I also used to eat leafy greens and they really love to eat them. I also write a complete guide on it if you want to visit my article I will put the link to my research. These are really lovely tortoise species.