Tortoise dragging his shell when walking

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Hello, I am concerned about how my Tortoise is walking and was looking for any advice that people might have. He is a Russian tortoise 5 inches long and around 510 g. I have noticed in the last couple months that his bottom shell does not clear the ground when he's walking. His indoor enclosure has coconut core and the outdoor enclosure is mostly dirt and Pete Moss with rocks, lots of plants some pieces of wood adult small logs etc. to walk on. When I got him the vet said that he shows signs of a previous injury such as a crushing injury as if he was stepped on it, there is a healed shell break around the back half of his shelf. But she said his legs were strong. Is he possibly too heavy? Could there actually be eggs? I am not even 100% sure he is a he, we did x-rays about a year ago and there were no eggs. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Was it a one time occurrence, or is it constant?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Can you post a video?

Is the bottom of the shell showing wear marks?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
There are a couple spots that look worn. I can take a video tomorrow. How do I post a video? I have an iPhone.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Shell dragging can be an indication of MBD, or an injury.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I don't know anything about his background. I don't know of any recent injury, just the healed injuries that the vet suspects. MBD may be a possibility, he has a UV power son bald for inside and he is outside whenever possible. I try to give him a good diet, Russian seed mix, weeds etc. he's never touched the cuttlebone, I have not done any calcium supplements. His shell has curled on the edges especially around the back part of the shell, is this normal? Also it seems like his growth lines are large, and slightly soft. Right now he is eating strictly the plants in his outdoor enclosure. I will post a video and some pictures tomorrow afternoon.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a leopard that was not taken care of very well before I got her. She too does not lift when she walks. She looks like a sea turtle on sand when she walks. I was given the advice from the forum to give he hydrotherapy. Fill a tub with warm water, enough where she has to swim and build up the strength in her legs. Do this each day for 15 minutes. It seems to be helping, slowly, but helping. You might want to try this for yours.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That sounds like a good idea. I work in physical therapy so I know all about rehab. Can Russian tortoises swim or do I need to support him?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not sure. I think most all tortoises can swim some, probably just not in long distance. See what he does. Good luck. It will take a while, so don't expect a quick fix, but you never know either.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402766763.797246.jpg
I couldn't figure out how to download a video so I took some pictures. I hope this helps. If not can somebody tell me how to download a video? I have a iPhone.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the tortoise's legs and bones are weak from MBD.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thanks Yvonne. That's what I was afraid of. I have had him for a year and a half and I have tried to give him the best care I could, I have done a town of research on the site and done everything that it says. Any suggestions of how to improve this? His show was not curled when I got him but it is now, did I do something wrong?[tortoiseforumATTACH=full]83637[/ATTACH]ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402767456.190628.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402767471.323864.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402767483.073852.jpg
Here are some other pictures, do you think he is a he or a she? Are his claws tomorrow? I feel terrible I want the best for my Tortoise and I feel like I have failed. Did I make it worse?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402767427.707114.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402767427.707114.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 32

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it's a female.

The tortoise needs calcium and UVB. If you've had your UVB light for a while, it may be time to buy a new one. They lose their UV properties after a while.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I replaced the bulb after a year, but he spent all summer in his outdoor pen. And he is out in his outdoor pen again now. He won't touch the cuttlebone if ice scrape it on his food will he eat it? Are there any natural foods he can eat that will give them the calcium? Or are there other ways I can give him calcium? I guess I thought that if he, she was eating the right foods that he would get calcium. I guess I was wrong. I am so mad at myself and feel so bad. I guess I should quit calling him him that might be difficult. Should I get her x-rayed to see if there's any eggs? There weren't any about a year ago.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Turnip greens, opuntia cactus are both high in calcium. Okra, collards, kelp and broccoli are also high in calcium.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
He likes cactus and turnip greens, hates collards :) where do I get kelp? I don't know much about MBD. What else can I do to help it, can it be reversed at all? What effects does it have on the Tortoise and has he had this for a long time? Or could it have developed just since I got him? Her I mean :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I've heard of liquid calcium that you put in the water when you soak them. Would that help? I usually soak Him, her I mean, a couple times a week at least. Also do you think this is a relatively young Tortoise or relatively old? Under 20 years old or over 20 years old for example. Like I said, I have no background at all on her. I got her from a locally owned pet shop that obviously knows nothing about tortoises but I thought I was being smart by not following any of their instructions. Any and all information or suggestions that people have for the care of my Tortoise is greatly appreciated. Thank you.