Tortoise dying of old age?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks. Nothing new. I placed different foods in front of her and she slid forward on it like a kid on a sled and sat there. She is still in the same spot. I'm going to clean her up soon.
I've been trying not to disturb her.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
So sorry you have to go through this and I really hope she pulls through.

M

Maggie Cummings

The old owner is someone I'm still in touch with. He fed produce being discarded by grocery stores.
When she does eat she only eats when she's in her house and looking out and I must place the food in front of her. If she's outside she looks but then steps over it.
Today she passed up on her rabbi, banana,cooked plantain and red pepper.
I've got some really soft cantaloupe for tomorrow.
I'd like to put her in with her other "sisters" but I'm still worried about them also getting sick.
At 6.3kg her weight has not changed in ten days. However she weighed 6.9kg when I got her.
Thanks everyone.

I realize this is different kind of, but I was given a Russian tort who was almost comatose. Vet said she carried a herpies virus, but that she had an URTI. So I started soaking her in the morning in carrots, lunch was clear water and dinner was again soaked in carrots. Strained baby food carrots. In 2 weeks the swelling in her eyes went down, but nothing else was different. I took her to the Vet for "gavage" (tube feeding using a stainless steel tube.) She uses a species specific "Critical Care" product. Again, the soakings, one night I thought for sure she was dying. She'd put her head all the way back touching her own carapace and she'd whine, just like a baby. So I started blowing in her mouth. Why? I don't have a clue, I just did. Every time she gaped I blew. Soon enough, I put a heating pad on my chest to keep her warm and took her to bed with me. After a couple of hours of me blowing in her mouth, she started putting her open mouth against my sleeping one, and wake me up so I'd blow. Impossible to believe, but I lived thru it, and so did she. She no longer gapes, or whines and she's pooped. I had her gavaged again Wednesday. My point of the story, (except the breathing part) was to show you I had a tortoise I thought for sure was going to die, So far she's still alive, she does not eat and I do give her sub q fluids, but somehow, she looks better, more alert, and if I adjust the light wrong and she gets too hot she moves. But she's so weak, she can hardly open her mouth. I think the gavage is an excellent thing. I still do my part and if my will means anything, she'll live. I never give up until the last breath...oh, before the gavage just on the carrot soaks, she'd gained 20 grams...

M

Maggie Cummings

I wish you would consider gavage. At this point what can you lose? And you'll be giving her some groceries. There's no stress with this stainless tube and it takes maybe 3 seconds. I am not talking about a clear hose that is flexible and just pokes around. I think the food and sub q fluids have made a difference in this Russian. I've had her for a month, she hasn't taken a bite, yet I see a weight gain and an improvement. I believe it's the gavage with the Critical Care...

Sorry Tom, I disagree strongly this time. The gavage and Critical Care help, maybe she's not going to die yet. Why condemn her without trying every thing you can? At least, that's my feeling. I had one sick box turtle who was going to be euthanized on Friday. Thursday I said no, I'd fix her and I fed her Critical Care with a spoon. Held her and talked to her and pestered her into living. She's alive healthy and my best box turtle about 3 years later. I'm not doing the same with this Russian, but I do hold her and all those darned soakings. I hope I have helped some...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I agree that some sort of artificial nutrition and hydration should be tried. It's good that she hasn't lost weight but she hasn't gained any lately either. She's not moving enough to burn many calories. I think it's only fair to give it a shot. And I think if it was my tortoise I would at least put her where she can see and smell the other tortoises. If she grew up in a large group it only makes sense that she doesn't know what to do alone. It is very difficult to know what to do. I'm just saying what I would do if it was mine.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I took my refrigerated poo sample out to my vet and it seems that there are no worms. No eggs. Nothing at all that is unusual. So the mystery deepens.
She continues to decline. Now she has stopped drinking also.
This is just about over.

parrotlady

5 Year Member
I am so sorry to hear this. I have been following your thread in case it could provide any insight to future problems that might occur with my tortoises.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Would this require yet another vet visit?
It's beyond anything I've ever tried to do. I have tube fed large fish. It seems like a breeze next to doing a tortoise.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Yes, probably at least one visit so they can teach you how to do it. But since you have basic experience it shouldn't be too hard. I think it is worth a shot. Otherwise she's going to hit the point of no return and it will be too late to try anything

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes, probably at least one visit so they can teach you how to do it. But since you have basic experience it shouldn't be too hard. I think it is worth a shot. Otherwise she's going to hit the point of no return and it will be too late to try anything
I'm relatively sure she is beyond that point myself.

parrotlady

5 Year Member
When I have tube fed I use critical care for herbivores made by oxbow, I get mine from amazon as it is cheaper than a vet. Your vet I am sure can provide a syringe and feeding tube and mark it so you will know how far to insert it. Also, he can provide instructions on how to do it. If he is unable to get her mouth open he may recommend a feeding tube installed thru surgery it runs about $350. I believe Aldbraman has used one with Hopie. Good luck!

M

Maggie Cummings

I'm relatively sure she is beyond that point myself.

Meaning no disrespect, but that Russian was almost comatose. The stainless tube goes down easy,
She is not well yet, but she sometimes moves and her eyes are now pen most of the time. And that's different. I see a difference in her. She was not drinking at all, now she's trying. I give her sub q fluids daily. I'm sorry you, too, are going thru this, I just don't give up until they do. I'm stubborn, I guess....

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Maggie Cummings

When I have tube fed I use critical care for herbivores made by oxbow, I get mine from amazon as it is cheaper than a vet. Your vet I am sure can provide a syringe and feeding tube and mark it so you will know how far to insert it. Also, he can provide instructions on how to do it. If he is unable to get her mouth open he may recommend a feeding tube installed thru surgery it runs about $350. I believe Aldbraman has used one with Hopie. Good luck!
Opening their mouths is the easiest part cuz they are so weak. My Vet gave me a plastic thing she uses to get the mouth open and hold it there. It's easier with 2 people.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Wow zero, I'm really sorry about all this...I've been reading your threads. I'm really hoping she turns around for you soon!!

M

Maggie Cummings

I would force feed her .What will it hurt ?

Gavage Mike...force feed sounds rather violent. With that stainless tube there's no violence...:oops:...It slides right down, syringe in some Critical Care, and there ya go.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That's what we called it when I breed snakes . The meanings the same . I had to give my reds meds by mouth . They gave me a syringe with a plastic hose on it . Worked fine .