Tortoise Eating Rocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

R114

5 Year Member
I tried making an outdoor garden area for my tortoise to roam around in for a few hours a day, but it turns out the soil I bought had some tiny little pebbles in it. My tortoise will go for these pebbles as soon as he sees them and then sniff them and try to eat them. He swallowed one once and I haven't let him back out there since. He is only 6 months old so even little pebbles are quite big for him/her to swallow. I plan on trying to buy some soil without pebbles, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem because I see lots of posts on here with tortoises in outdoor enclosures that have rocks in them. Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The exact same thing happened to me when my tort was about one or so. I bought the soil and before I new it, had dumped it all over the enclosure. I wasn't very happy at all. My tort did the same as yours, except never ate one. I shoveled it out and replaced with new, rock free.

Btw, there are mostly larger rocks in his pen then and now and he doesn't seem interested in them.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
The white pebbles are called perlite and are very dangerous to torts, especially young or smaller species. The risk is that they can impact in their gut and create a blockage that they cannot pass. They look like calcium so torts are drawn to them like a moth to a flame. Remove all the soil that has perlite in it. Replace it with a perlite free fertilizer free organic soil. There are a few at home depot that work. If it says Miracle grow on it then it contains fertilizer which you also dont want.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
There are going to be torts that will always be attracted to small pebbles and eat them. Whether it's because they think it's calcium, or they may be lacking some minerals, it's anybody's guess. The danger is that rocks can compact them, and cause tremendous harm to your tort. My sulliy had eaten over 20 pebbles when he was 10 months old. After taking him to the vet, and administering mineral oil, he finally passed them. But, he had also developed a bladder stone which needed to be surgically removed. my first year with my tort was an experience you don't ever want to go through. In the enclosure, just use organic soil and peat moss (about 50/50 mix). Keep calcium block available all the time, and use some vitamin /mineral supplement so that they will get all the minerals they may be lacking. Also, if you haven't done so, make his enclosure predator proof.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Another thing i would like to suggest. If your tort is eating rocks he/she maybe lacking minerals you can try miner-all if you have a tort that is kept indoors year round, you can get it with vitamin D. Otherwise they have outdoor formula also.

Status
Not open for further replies.