Tortoise Electrical Billing (Ontario, Canada)

HoneyBea23

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hi there! I am inquiring about electrical billing in Canada and if anyone found that their billing went up very high once they adopted a tortoise. I am interested in purchasing a redfoot tortoise who would need about 235 watts total between two heating bulbs 12 hours per day, but I am worried that this will drive up my bill. My calculations showed a maximum $30 monthly increase (electrical costs are about 13.5 cents per kilowatt hour) which is nothing, so I am unsure if this is accurate. Any further information would be greatly appreciated!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
It depends on where you are and what you are billed per kilowatt used. Besides I heat and cool my house based on my animals needs. The dogs like it cool in summer and cool in winter. The torts like it warm. I wear layers either way!

daniellenc

Maryland
Wow, really? By how much would you say it went up by if you don't mind me asking?
A redfoot needs 24/7 heat maintained no lower than 80 degrees and light twelve hours a day. My electric bill (United States) did not go up significantly but his enclosure is Animal Plastics and very well sealed and insulated. You'll need to consider how efficient the enclosure itself is at maintaining heat.

HoneyBea23

Ontario
A redfoot needs 24/7 heat maintained no lower than 80 degrees and light twelve hours a day. My electric bill (United States) did not go up significantly but his enclosure is Animal Plastics and very well sealed and insulated. You'll need to consider how efficient the enclosure itself is at maintaining heat.
Yes, that's very true as well. Same thing if you don't mind me asking, how much did your billing go up by with everything?

daniellenc

Maryland
Yes, that's very true as well. Same thing if you don't mind me asking, how much did your billing go up by with everything?
I really haven't noticed any increase maybe a few dollars??? It's hard to tell seeing as my teenagers suddenly have stopped remembering to turn lights off, lol. However, a good cage is going to cost you well over $1,000 plus heating/lighting add ons, substrate, food/water bowls, hides, and plants not included. Then the cost to feed an adult especially in cooler climates goes up because we have to rely on store bought greens and pelleted food to supplement in fall/winter. In the summer I may spent $5 to feed mine per week, but winter is more like $15-$20 per week and she's only two. I imagine once she's full grown it will be more like $30-$40 per week. If money is an issue (which it is for nearly all of us) I am just pointing out other expenses to consider because electric is the only expense I haven't really noticed much of an increase.

HoneyBea23

Ontario
I really haven't noticed any increase maybe a few dollars??? It's hard to tell seeing as my teenagers suddenly have stopped remembering to turn lights off, lol. However, a good cage is going to cost you well over $1,000 plus heating/lighting add ons, substrate, food/water bowls, hides, and plants not included. Then the cost to feed an adult especially in cooler climates goes up because we have to rely on store bought greens and pelleted food to supplement in fall/winter. In the summer I may spent $5 to feed mine per week, but winter is more like $15-$20 per week and she's only two. I imagine once she's full grown it will be more like $30-$40 per week. If money is an issue (which it is for nearly all of us) I am just pointing out other expenses to consider because electric is the only expense I haven't really noticed much of an increase.
Hahaha teenagers are something else for sure! Yes, you’ve brought up great points which I have all planned out already actually, it was just the electrics I was mostly concerned with since there’s no way for me to really know or prepare for it. Thank you so much for your reply and all the useful information!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm running three pond pumps. Three UV sterilizers and have 3 tortoise houses that have heaters in the winter.
But my bill never fluctuates over $20 a month more or less.
I think electricity is just cheaper in some places than others.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
There are sooooo many variables involved here that you really can’t get usable info. Your local electric charges per hour, the types of torts you have, the size of enclosure, the way you have the enclosure insulated or not, types of heating (kane mats, RHPs, CHEs) incandescent bulbs, LEDs, florescent, temp the room is maintained at (if indoor enclosure), etc.

The better you insulate your enclosure and use efficient heat on a thermostat in a “warm” room will help.

Good luck!

DJ Kirk

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
I live just north of Guelph
I built my own custom enclosure that is well-sealed to keep humidity at 80-85% non-stop
My bill went up only a little bit - perhaps $10/month and I have one (1) EZ Fogger, three (3) 100W CRE's, two (2) 18" T8's going at different times day or night 24/7 on a timer and thermostat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you use a proper closed chamber made of 1/2 expanded pvc, and the room temp is in the high 60s or more, and you use LEDs for lighting, there shouldn't be much of an increase at all. You would definitely not need 235 watts in my scenario. You'd ned an 80 watt RHP on a thermostat the would shut it on and off as needed. And maybe a CHE or Heat lamp to make a warm side. Or another RHP set on another thermostat.

Maitri06

Palmetto
Hi there! I am inquiring about electrical billing in Canada and if anyone found that their billing went up very high once they adopted a tortoise. I am interested in purchasing a redfoot tortoise who would need about 235 watts total between two heating bulbs 12 hours per day, but I am worried that this will drive up my bill. My calculations showed a maximum $30 monthly increase (electrical costs are about 13.5 cents per kilowatt hour) which is nothing, so I am unsure if this is accurate. Any further information would be greatly appreciated!
The math goes like this. .235KW x 12HRS X30 DAYS X .135 = $11.42. hope this helps.

Neris

Calgary
Hi there! I live in Calgary and we got a red foot 2 years ago in November. I haven't seen much increase in electricity, but we're in a variable rate so that would make it harder to notice. I agree with the comments of HoneyBea23; the biggest expense would be the enclosure and set up to maintain the appropriate temperatures and humidity. We've got pretty much all, heat lamp, lights (day and night), fogger and a heat mat, thermostat, timers for the lamps, etc. which was the biggest investment. There is also the substrate that we replace every 3 months or so, and the food, which is a mixture of pellets (the expensive part of the food) and veggies, fruits, etc. Hopefully this helps...

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
I don't heat my apt, don't use a lot of hot water, do cook for one, have house lights, tv several hours and computer several hours, use 3 CHEs, 4 flourescent tubes and a heat pad and pay around $90-95 a month. Way too much:mad:! The animals and apt downstairs(and warm clothes)provide pretty much all my apt heat.

HoneyBea23

Ontario
Thank you everyone for your informative inputs -- you have all been a big help in finalizing my decision! :)