Tortoise Enclosure help

jennlopez71

My tortoise keeps trying to climb the walls of his enclosure and flipping himself over. I covered all of the walls in bamboo thinking that he would not be able to push himself up the wall (thinking he would just slip down), but somehow he is able to flip himself. I am out of ideas of how to fix this. I have had him for only a couple of months, and am constantly trying to fix things for him. He is a big boy (80lbs and 25 inches). Does anyone have ideas of how I can fix this for him? I added a photo of his enclosure but it doesn't do it justice. He has a kid pool buried down and the grassy areas have a few hills and stuff for him. Trying not to keep him too bored, but I just don't know what else to do.

Attachments

• 20140502_200239.jpg
    20140502_200239.jpg
    938.5 KB · Views: 41

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
He's trying to get out of there and go back to where he thinks he belongs. Either that, or he smells a female somewhere in the area and he wants to get to her. It might help if you blocked the path next to the fence so he can't pace. Put a boulder in the way occasionally, or something like that. Give him something to do. Toss a volley ball in with him, or something bright red...something to push around and distract him.

jennlopez71

Oh thank you, thank you. I will definitely try these things. Thanks for your help