Tortoise enclosure - is this ok?

kaneki28

Location (City and/or State)
California
@Tom the humidity level won’t stay at 70. Can I add top soil to the cypress mulch to retain more humidity?

Pebbles poops everyday during the soak but how would i know if it’s peeing or not?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
@Tom the humidity level won’t stay at 70. Can I add top soil to the cypress mulch to retain more humidity?

Pebbles poops everyday during the soak but how would i know if it’s peeing or not?
This is because your enclosure has an open top. Soil won't do anything that the cypress mulch isn't already doing. Humidity is increased when evaporated water is captured and held. With an open top, your evaporated water is just dissipating up and into the room. Soil doesn't evaporate any more water than any other material.

Soil should never be used as tortoise substrate. Its made from composted yard waste and all sorts of weird stuff. Could be toxic or dangerous.

If the mulch is damp and the tortoise has a humid hide, it should be fine. Russians don't need super high humidity. Be sure to not use the MVB you had initially, and you should not have a pyramiding problem.

You don't have to worry about the peeing. If the tortoise is well hydrated, it will be peeing clear, and almost always in the soak water, so you won't see it. They almost always pee when they poop.