Tortoise enclosure - safe against birds?

James9811

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi all!

So I’m purchasing a bigger version of the attached picture and doing a bit of landscaping where it’s gonna go. Only concern is I live on the coast, do you think seagulls or other birds will spot the tortoise and be able to get through this wire? I’d hate to think he was in any sort of danger. He’s only 2 y/o so still pretty small

Attachments

• B7C667D1-FE7C-477B-AB23-6CABF5751CFB.jpeg
    B7C667D1-FE7C-477B-AB23-6CABF5751CFB.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 7

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
It appears to be metal hardware cloth for screen. If that is the case it looks like a pretty secure enclosure. I don't see any way that birds could get through the screen as long as it is securely attached to the wood at the edges. It looks nice to me from the picture. But it is hard to see all the details in this image. I have a enclosure that uses hardware cloth for screen securely attached at the edges to wood and it has done well to protect the box turtles and desert tortoise from all predators including raccoons and coyotes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all!

So I’m purchasing a bigger version of the attached picture and doing a bit of landscaping where it’s gonna go. Only concern is I live on the coast, do you think seagulls or other birds will spot the tortoise and be able to get through this wire? I’d hate to think he was in any sort of danger. He’s only 2 y/o so still pretty small
What size is the tortoise? Age doesn't tell us the size.

Hardware cloth will keep birds away.