Tortoise Enrichment

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I figured out a way on my little phone. Either send a text or email of your pictures. Then download it. When you want to upload a photo on TFO choose documents. It will let you post a photo.
Sorry, I didn't see you figured it out. Too cute.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I developed a way for my captive tortoises to stretch a little bit in order to eat their food. Have you done something similar? I figure it gives them exercise and helps them use more muscles than just eating from a plate of chopped food. I'll probably do this about twice a week.

I've been trying to figure out a vining plant to try something similar for winter. I have a cute planter bought for that. In the meantime I could try that method with a quick hook and see what my little guy thinks.?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
In the green seasons, I cut branches from maples in our yard for my torts... I put leaves and branches in their inside and outside enclosures and they seem to get a kick out of nibbling, exploring, arranging, and rearranging the leaves and branches.

I also put their food in different spots around the enclosures.

When I do the big monthly cleanout of the enclosures (as opposed to daily spot-cleans and weekly muck-outs), I'll normally switch out the plantings in the enclosures, and change the positioning of the plants a bit.

A few times a year I alter the timers controlling their lighting, setting the lights to go off for 1-3 times for 15 minutes at some point in the day.

Not huge things, but I think it stimulates the torts a bit and keeps them on their toes....

Jamie

SPILL

Illinois
We got a new store this winter that sells moringa and mulberry leaves on the branch and grape, squash, melon, and sweet potato leaves on the vine. Having the branches stood and the vines strewn about the cage elicits a feeding response that almost borders on aggression.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
We got a new store this winter that sells moringa and mulberry leaves on the branch and grape, squash, melon, and sweet potato leaves on the vine. Having the branches stood and the vines strewn about the cage elicits a feeding response that almost borders on aggression.

Fascinating! Is this store a pet store or does it sell those things for people? Great to see this is triggering a great feeding response. I'd definitely encourage more keepers to come up with creative ways to present food to their tortoises.

Sa Ga

MN
Screenshot_20200302-192749_Samsung Internet.jpg

Like a movie poster for "The Strangers: Tortie Time!"

SPILL

Illinois
Fascinating! Is this store a pet store or does it sell those things for people? Great to see this is triggering a great feeding response. I'd definitely encourage more keepers to come up with creative ways to present food to their tortoises.
It's for people. I always mix up the name. It's either Asian International or International Asian.