tortoise following MY sleep schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoise_luvergirl

5 Year Member
Maybe this is just a coinidence but it seems like Willow naps the same times I do during the day, then is awake at night or very early morning.. like me. She has started coming over to me, Just sits and looks at me like " hey where's breakfast/dinner?" if not fed on her schedule she will actually ram the walls of her enclosure creating quite abit of noise.. even for her size. Last night I was very sick with the flu and yelled at her for it since I wanted to sleep early ( hopefully no hurt feelings here) I said GO TO SLEEP! I guess the yelling scared her becuz she went in her hide box. Do tortoises normally follow their owners sleep/awake cycles like this? I am also having my mother or father feed her for now becuase I am not sure she won't catch my respiratory flue. She sure is an interesting animal :) who ever said tortoises weren't smart? Willow is a baby sulcata but seems to catch on fast!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Yes, they are strict creatures of habit/routine....and likely you put off some funky vibe when you yelled out ....likely she just kicked rocks and went on her way....

Also, generally speaking-- most human germs/ick does not pass to your reptile...:D

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
That's pretty funny -- so Willow sleeps in your bedroom? Do you think she responds to the light in the room going on and off? My torts sleep in the laundry area -- and sleep many more hours a night than I do. My husband laughs at me cause I won't turn on the lights if they're in there snoozing. I just fumble through the dryer looking for a sock.

This morning as I was making my coffee before the sun rose I peeked in on them and envied them snoozing away. Lately they're not even up when I leave for work. Lucky torts.

tortoise_luvergirl

5 Year Member
thatrebecca said:
That's pretty funny -- so Willow sleeps in your bedroom? Do you think she responds to the light in the room going on and off? My torts sleep in the laundry area -- and sleep many more hours a night than I do. My husband laughs at me cause I won't turn on the lights if they're in there snoozing. I just fumble through the dryer looking for a sock.

This morning as I was making my coffee before the sun rose I peeked in on them and envied them snoozing away. Lately they're not even up when I leave for work. Lucky torts.
yes she does.. in an enclosure WITH A TOP so she won't climb out of it. I always have a light on in my room so doubt she is responding to the light. but if I am NOT up when she wants food I hear it LOL.. clunk clunk! I didn't know BABY torts could ram. she is loving the cypress mulch,water basin and log which she has made her bed. she even moves small rocks around to form "steps" so she don't flip over when climbing her log.. weird. Mom says "I can hardly wait till she is full grown" summers she will spend outside when much bigger. I gave up on putting the rocks back in place becuz she just drags them back to the log.:tort:

lkwagner

5 Year Member
My 3 ram their enclosures when they're hungry too. But the weird thing is my roommate says when he's here by himself it doesn't happen. Only when they see me and know I'm home do they start demanding food lol

Status
Not open for further replies.