Tortoise Found Dublin Ireland (Help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernardevans

5 Year Member
tortoise.jpgtortoise 2.jpgtort3.jpgTortoise Found
086 8634043

Hi

I’m a volunteer in Animal Rescue, predominantly Cats Aid www.catsaid.org and we are a no kill group.

However I just found a Tortoise last night and I’m pretty sure it’s been abandoned. Id like to get some help and someone to take him because as much as Id love to keep him, I’ve no training with them and a some rescued pet cats here.

I would prefer if it could go to a rescue group

I’m Living in Chapelizod Village, the tortoise was living on the banks of the Liffey.

Please call me if you can help, I have free calls so can call you straight back,

Bernard

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Bernard:

Welcome to the Forum!!

I can't see the pictures well enough to give you a species I.D., however I'm pretty sure your "tortoise" is a water turtle.

Water turtles can't swallow food unless they are submerged under the water. They usually eat earthworms, snails, insects, tadpoles, feeder fish (killed if necessary), scrambled eggs (including the shells), and carrion, such as dead, thawed, fuzzy or hopper mice. Trout chow, catfish chow, Reptomin, etc. can be fed but only as a part of a varied diet. They should not be used exclusively. Note that earthworms and insects are usually low in calcium so should not be used exclusively either. Avoid pinkie mice. They are too high in fat and too low in calcium.

Some water turtles also savor water plants. Mine are particularly fond of water hyacinth.

I think the only reptile native to Ireland is a lizard, so your turtle is probably someone's escaped or abandoned pet.

bernardevans

5 Year Member
Hi and thanks,

I’ve put a video on You Tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZMBxQHhe-M&list=UUyz-eZ06g1qURATlF8FmPjQ&index=1&feature=plcp

It might make sense if he is a Terrapin because he was “missing” for a day or two from where first spotted. It a little inaccessible but I eventually spotted him.

Its Inside an apartment complex grounds. The is a lot of nature around such as Swans and Herons, Puffins and Ducks, but it’s a rare part of Dublin city centre for that.

Whilst most of my rescue work is cats and dogs etc etc, this would be out of my league.

Id be more than happy for him to go back, but if its ok, Id just like to get a few opinions first… I’m sure you understand. The weather climate here is not good. This year we had a mild winter, but last year the snow was so bad that it killed off many feral cats and kittens. So would it be actually better to get him a home if possible. Which would be better?

With all of my contacts in Animal Rescue in Ireland, this little guys seems to be the first to have found one I or my colleagues have heard of living wild. So I wonder has it actually just recently abandoned?

I have already given him Broccili, Cucumber etc and one or 2 flowers and Bottled water. He doesn’t seem to be eating.

He is very active when I’m not around, and walk about a little. He will come out of his shell and look at me and what’s going in when I’m there…. But camera shy re putting his neck out when I made the video….

Thanks and pleases get back

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'll bet if you drop a live worm into the water with the turtle it will get eaten.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Is there any pond or lake or creek around where you found him? I mean within a distance that perhaps he was snatched out of by a predatory bird and then dropped ? This happens alot. Also, you mentioned he was found near an apt complex...did you post a notice that you found a turtle and give your contact number...but not show a picture nor give details about the turtle...so that if there is a true owner they will have to describe the turtle to collect it....

As Yvonne mentioned, you will need to give this turtle access to water so that he can swim if he is to eat and live....this appears to be an aquatic turtle and therefore must be able to to submerge itself...a simple plastic tub would suffice with a place for him to climb out of the water to dry off...you could even get a lamp with a simple bulb to offer a spot to warm himself up under....I know you say you are not versed in turtles...but you could set up a little spot for him until you are able to place him and/or figure out if he was an actual wild turtle that is just now displaced?

He is a cutie and I hope you find a positive outcome for him :D

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
ascott said:
Is there any pond or lake or creek around where you found him?

Non native species should not be returned to the wild. Try and find a captive home for him, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.