• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Tortoise gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prokster17

5 Year Member
I have 2 leopard tortoises. .. I just got the second one and now all i hear is gas sounds all day and night. Loud poofs! Like when they tuck in their shell. Should i be worried? They both are eating and seem
Fine otherwise...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
All living creatures pass gas (even the ladies).

WinterDB

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Purely an urban legend. Women don't pass gas, nor do they partake in any bodily functions in which a man would say "ew". :p

shellibelli72

5 Year Member
Missouri
WinterDB said:
dmmj said:
Purely an urban legend. Women don't pass gas, nor do they partake in any bodily functions in which a man would say "ew". :p

Amen, sister! Us girls gotta stick together....:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What you are hearing MIGHT be coming from the other end. When a tortoise pulls into its shell quickly it makes the air in the lungs whoosh out. Sounds like the tortoise is hissing at you. Passing gas usually sounds more like a little motor boat.

MrJorgensen

5 Year Member
Indiana
WinterDB said:
dmmj said:
Thank God! I'm still under the impression that women don't poop either. No one better ruin that for me!!!

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
MrJorgensen said:
WinterDB said:
dmmj said:
Thank God! I'm still under the impression that women don't poop either. No one better ruin that for me!!!
Women poop. :D

MrJorgensen

5 Year Member
Indiana
Eweezyfosheezy said:
MrJorgensen said:
WinterDB said:
dmmj said:
Women poop. :D
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Southern California
Any digestive system in any animal acts in similar ways. Yes torts pass gas, & blow out air when tucking into shell etc...

prokster17

5 Year Member
Its the sound of her going into the shell, its that poof... But it goes on all night....about a few times an hour. I also have three sulcatas and i sleep near them and none of my other tortoises make this sound. Im sure its my new leopard making it because it started when i got her. Is that normal for the sound to go on all night like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.