Tortoise goes inactive when in terrarium

Mark_jaa

Location (City and/or State)
CDMX
Hey people, I let my tortoise stroll outside with supervision when it's feeding time for it to soak some sun daily.
He/she strolls happily and explores the yard after feeding, and sometimes goes to sleep under a plant. What I've noticed is that no matter how active or curious he/she is, the moment I return him/her to the terrarium he/she goes to sleep. Is this normal? My tort is like, 1 year old, a little bit more.
Thanks in advance.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It s mistake that will eventually lead to disaster to let your tortoise roam free in the yard. Make a large enclosure instead.

If your tort is already fed, warmed and exercised, it has no reason to expose itself to predators by walking around out in the open. At one year old, everything in the wild would want to eat it. Hiding is normal and natural when all of its needs are already met.

Mark_jaa

CDMX
My backyard doesn't have much wildlife, except for a few small lizards and hummingbirds. Is this still dangerous?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My backyard doesn't have much wildlife, except for a few small lizards and hummingbirds. Is this still dangerous?
What Tom is telling you is that baby or small tortoises are born with certain instincts that help them live. They "think" they are prey, they think anything and everything is out to eat them. You take him out of his safe and familiar place, and set him out into the wild. While WE think it's a good idea, that baby does not. He's afraid

Mark_jaa

CDMX
What Tom is telling you is that baby or small tortoises are born with certain instincts that help them live. They "think" they are prey, they think anything and everything is out to eat them. You take him out of his safe and familiar place, and set him out into the wild. While WE think it's a good idea, that baby does not. He's afraid
Oh damn, so I'm stressing my tort when I take it out for a stroll?
I just do it for like half an hour each day so that my tort can get the required UVB light.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh damn, so I'm stressing my tort when I take it out for a stroll?
I just do it for like half an hour each day so that my tort can get the required UVB light.
Tom believes yes, you are stressing out your tortoise. Personally, I am not sure. My adult male Sulcata had an outgoing personality and I used to take him out and about in town. I thought Bob loved it. He actually was well known and made personal appearances at Petco, OSU and other places. Kids would ride him and walk behind him chanting and clapping "you go Bob, go Bob, you go Bob go Bob" I thought Bob loved that attention. His head was out, his eyes were bright and attentive. he walked around looking at whatever. He made so many personal appearances. He was on TV twice and in our local newspaper 4 times. Strangers would come up to me in the Safeway, "hey, aren't you Bob's mom?"
My sister is the Nazi moderator here on TFO. A few years after his death she started telling me how Bob did NOT enjoy all that, he was not curious and looking at stuff, he was trying to find his way back to his habitat where he was safe.
Several of the most experienced keepers and breeders here on TFO started telling me stuff and agreeing with her.
.My relationship with Bob was very close and different. It took me a couple of years after his death to start realizing maybe everyone was right. It was heartbreak.
Honestly, you don't want to put your tortoise and yourself thru all that. So make him a small habitat outside that he can become familiar with, and put him in there for your walking time. Also, remember, he is still a baby and babies sleep a lot.