1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Tortoise Habitat Advice

Discussion in 'North American Tortoises (genus Gopherus)' started by CeciliaCornwall, Aug 11, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. TammyJ

TammyJ Well-Known Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Jamaica
    Why not just block the aloe off so they can't burrow under it? I would not dig it out.
  2. ascott

ascott Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Apple Valley, California
    Why do you believe you have two females? It is unusual to get yours hands on a female (not that it can not happen, just unlikely) let alone two. What is the proof of both females? Now, with that nagging question off of my tongue.

Whether you have males or females, pairing in general is not a beneficial set up...and until you get your set up straight and working I certainly would not bring in a third tortoise...that is not a positive action, especially since you are having struggles working out the glitches in the current set up.

I would split your yard into two individual spaces one for each tortoise. The vying for same spot is likely another flag that they should not be housed in the same space....one is dominate and one then is unnaturally forced to be submissive...this is not a good thing for any tortoise/creature....but especially for a species that is super tenacious and nomadic. I would again suggest you set up two spaces, before you end up with an ailing tortoise.
  3. ascott

ascott Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Apple Valley, California

Oh and I would not remove the Aloe plant...as mentioned before, it is likely one local for coolness and I would not remove that....nor would I block off their access to it....but I also would quickly divid the space and then offer up a great deep shade spot for the tort that is not located in the space with the aloe...
  4. CeciliaCornwall

CeciliaCornwall New Member

Scottsdale, AZ
    Awesome, thanks!! Since I initially posted this they seem to not be fighting anymore...they are both happily (?) under the aloe. We did build a new “house” in deep shade and they go in it occasionally, but it isn’t their favorite location. We’re going to work on making it their favorite location because that seems like a better hibernation spot. Is it ok to allow them to hibernate there?

Well I say they are females because we got them both from a friend who has the parents of these two. They are different ages but sisters, if you will. This family has had some insane number of tortoises born throughout the years and they told us both are female.