Tortoise Has Bubbles On Top of Eye.

Maliceinwonder_land

Location (City and/or State)
Casper, WY
Hello! A bit of background info: Almost two weeks ago I purchased a red-footed tortoise. He is my first tortoise, although I have had (and currently do have) many other reptiles. Anyways, he was extremely dry when I got him. His shell has also pyramided. I have been soaking him at least once every other day, as well as maintaining humidity no lower than 60% and sometimes as high as up to 90% due to me wanting to up his humidity to help with the dryness. He looks a lot better, but is still very dry. (I have a humidifier in his enclosure so humidity is constant.) I can only imagine that the dryness issue won't be fixed over night. Today he has been rubbing his left eye on his leg. I thought that maybe he had something in his eye. I read somewhere on here that when this happens you should just bathe them and pour some water over their heads in hopes of having the irritation rinse out. So I did that and put him back in his enclosure (which is a tortoise table). Anyways, he has still been rubbing his eye on his leg. I looked closely and it looks like one or two little bubbles are forming at the top of his eye/eyelid. At first I thought that maybe it was a cyst, but as soon as he blinked they disappeared. Probably thirty seconds to a minute later they were back.

I have no idea what is wrong with my baby. ): I thought I was doing everything right for him. What is going on with my little baby? I love him so much. I don't want him to be in pain or discomfort. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much ahead of time.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Pictures will help. My Leopard tortoise occasionally gets bubbles in her eye. Looks kinda like foam. Freaked me out the first time, but was told it happens. I give her a good long soak, and it goes away in a few hours.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
My Red Foot's eyes used to do that because in the past she was in a very, very low humidity and cold environment. Fixed that when I brought her home, although she was pretty sick so she still had teary eyes. Her eyes do still tend to bubble up if she is too hot. What are your temperatures, and how are you measuring the temps and humidity? And just to rule this out, what lighting are you using? Coil bulbs, for example, tend to irritate and over time can damage tortoises eyes