Tortoise has trouble opening one eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

volcom6981

5 Year Member
Hey guys/girls im new here, my name is Jason, and im from the central PA area.

Alright well i just recieved a new marginated tortoise yesterday from a well known breeder. I took the new tort out, and looked her over and noticed that one eye looked really good, but the other took along time to open, and did look kind of watery. I did get this shipped to my house, and this is my first tortoise, so i did soak her in luke warm water for about 30 min. Other then her eye she is doing fine, she eats alot, she is not real active, i find her hiding alot, but she does sit out and bask.

So anyways she is in an enclosure that is 3'x2'x20 high, and it is not a glass aquarium. I keep her on all Cypress mulch with a food dish and a water bowl, and 2 hides.

Temps= 95-105 in basking area, 80-85 in sections near basking area, and 74-76 in the cool area with a CHE hooked up to a T-stat in case the temp drops.
Humidity= 60-80% usually at night the humidity will go up, never goes past 80, i also use Sphagnum moss in both hides which she likes to hide under.
Lighting= I use a basking bulb of 100w about 16-18" off the substrate which keeps the temps 95-105. I have a UVB Flourecent bulb about 16" off the substrate that is on for about 12 hours a day, and the CHE for extra heat incase it needs it on a T-Stat.
Foods= So far she has eaten Spring Mix, and some Dandilions, and some clover, and she has loved it so far eating really good, i usually pick her up and put her on her feeding dish just because she is new, but always seems to eat it up. I also use some calcium on there as well.

Ok well i think i went through anything and im sure im missing something here. I know its only been 2 days, but i want the best for her and for her to be heathly. At first i thought something was in her eye like the stuff they used inside the container she came in, but im not so sure. So any suggestions, if there is something i can do, also if there is anything else you guys need to know feel free to ask. Thank you guys!

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Hi and welcome,

I'm not an eye expert in any stretch but I have dealt with my share of foreign objects in torts eyes. First thing I do is GENTLY wash the eye with Saline and shine a small flash light into the eye. Can you see any foreign objects? Is there any swelling? If there is a foreign object you need to decide if you can get it out or a vet is required....depends on what it is. Don't force anything, if it doesn't come out easily, see a vet.

After flushing I use Terramycin ointment on the eye. This will help lubricate the eye and may help get the foreign object out.

My experience has been torts eyes heal quickly. If you don't see change within a couple of days, get her to the vet.

volcom6981

5 Year Member
lvstorts said:
Hi and welcome,

I'm not an eye expert in any stretch but I have dealt with my share of foreign objects in torts eyes. First thing I do is GENTLY wash the eye with Saline and shine a small flash light into the eye. Can you see any foreign objects? Is there any swelling? If there is a foreign object you need to decide if you can get it out or a vet is required....depends on what it is. Don't force anything, if it doesn't come out easily, see a vet.

After flushing I use Terramycin ointment on the eye. This will help lubricate the eye and may help get the foreign object out.

My experience has been torts eyes heal quickly. If you don't see change within a couple of days, get her to the vet.

Im not even sure what the stuff was that was in here container. Thats the hard part right now she is alittle scared of me probably because she dosnt know me yet, so everytime i try to check her eye, she goes into her shell. I will continue to try, but when i did get a chance to look it didnt seem like there was anything in there, but then again its very hard to tell.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Watch her for a few days. Soak her daily and make sure you sprinkle water over her head. Put saline drops in her eye and also the terramycin ointment if you can get it in there.

My Horsfield had an irritated L eye over several weeks. It turned out that she had a foreign body in her eye, something string like; one end was stuck under the inner eyelid and it just would not come out. Very difficult to see.
An Eye Vet finally was able to dislodge it so it washed out.

Here is the thread I started about it. (she is fine now).
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-new-RT-s-left-eye-word-and-pic-heavy#axzz21Iqi6n8M

volcom6981

5 Year Member
HMMM thanks, now im wondering if there is something in there or if her got scratched or something. When she opens her eye, she seems ok, its just when she wakes up which she is a baby and tends to sleep alot, it just takes awhile for her Left eye to open. Im hoping this passes, but no to sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.