Tortoise hasn't had UV light. For awhile...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raffiel the RT

5 Year Member
Well Raffiel the RT hasn't have UV light for about 6 months. Because here in Minnesota, our winter JUST ended. And its about 40 degrees outside. How warm does it have to be to let the little guy roam around? And i live in the middle of no where. It is a 2 hour drive to the nearest bet store. There is a skylight about 10 feet above the cage. But I'm worried. What do you suggest??

ImageUploadedByTortForum1368977321.335235.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1368977348.671406.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1368977444.836683.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1368977400.652517.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1368977400.652517.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited by a moderator:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
UV won't pass through glass (or most plexiglass).
Since your tortoise hasn't been outside, the temps should be about 60f, give or take, but microclimates in your yard can be warmer (sunny area on gravel or with pavers). So the temp at the ground in these areas is more important than ambient air temps overall.

There are some great online sites, including Amazon, Pet Mountain, Big Apple Herp, and our Tortoise supply, Arizona Pet compound, Light Your Reptiles, etc.

I suggest you add a tube fluorescent light the length of your enclosure. Arcadia, Reptisun 10.0, etc. Then keep your basking light to maintain temps under it at about 95f.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You should be providing the tortoise with UVB from an artificial light source during the winter months. Either that, or let him hibernate.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
You really should buy a 100 watt or 150 watt mercury vapor buld for your tortoise. You could start seeing some negative results soon if you dont. Warmer weather is on the way so maybe you can get him out in some real sun

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Raffiel the RT said:
Well Raffiel the RT hasn't have UV light for about 6 months. Because here in Minnesota, our winter JUST ended. And its about 40 degrees outside. How warm does it have to be to let the little guy roam around? And i live in the middle of no where. It is a 2 hour drive to the nearest bet store. There is a skylight about 10 feet above the cage. But I'm worried. What do you suggest??

Yes, indoor tortoises should be getting artificial UVA and UVB. Lynne's recommendations for bulbs is great.

Of course, taking him outside is best, but as you've guessed, it has to be warm enough. Not only that, but it has to be sunny and not windy. In nature, Russian tortoises don't leave their burrows unless air temperature in the shade is at least 68*F.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. Real sunshine. (Weather permitting)
2. Mercury vapor bulb.
3. Long tube style florescent UV.

Do not use the coil type compact florescent bulbs. Those can damage tortoise eyes and nearly every pet store will try to sell them to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.