tortoise having a night feast lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
You really need to be careful as some flowers are toxic, not 100% sure tortoises can eat begonias (I think that is what they are) and if the yellow is part of the daisy family be careful as they are very rich in tannins and saponins - which are not good for a young tortoise.

Tamie

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
ok i have taken them out! some one said to me that i could feed them garden flowers :(

c_pierce705

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Madcity, WI
Tamie said:
You really need to be careful as some flowers are toxic, not 100% sure tortoises can eat begonias (I think that is what they are) and if the yellow is part of the daisy family be careful as they are very rich in tannins and saponins - which are not good for a young tortoise.

Tamie

what about sunflowers? can torts eat those? I have access to about a million of em.....

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
c_pierce705 said:
Tamie said:

Tamie

what about sunflowers? can torts eat those? I have access to about a million of em.....

C_Pierce705, sunflower petals are edible.
Shuan, sunflower is edible, rose petal is edible and fuschia is edible so you cna keep the fushcia and sunflower in.

But Tamie is right, be careful.
Heres a short list of what is safe: (flowers and leaves)

Sunflower
Rose (pick the flower and leaves)
Fuschia
Petunia
pansy
Hosta
Lavander
hebe

and heres a list of weeds: (flowers and leaves)
Mallow
Clover
Dandelion
bindweed
Plantain
sowthistle
Global thistle

=] anything you dont know of google>>images>>search.

c_pierce705

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Madcity, WI
T-P said:
c_pierce705 said:
Tamie said:

Tamie

C_Pierce705, sunflower petals are edible.
Shuan, sunflower is edible, rose petal is edible and fuschia is edible so you cna keep the fushcia and sunflower in.

But Tamie is right, be careful.
Heres a short list of what is safe: (flowers and leaves)

Sunflower
Rose (pick the flower and leaves)
Fuschia
Petunia
pansy
Hosta
Lavander
hebe

and heres a list of weeds: (flowers and leaves)
Mallow
Clover
Dandelion
bindweed
Plantain
sowthistle
Global thistle

=] anything you dont know of google>>images>>search.

Thanks alot! I was wondering about those!

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
=] your welcome.
And hibiscus is nice!
my pair use to have it daily until my grandfather got rid of his hibiscus (gave it to someone else) and ever since ive never seen it.

dingogirl

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
llllshaunllll said:
thats for the help again!!!!!!! ;) i realy mean thanks :)

Agave,kalanchoes,hens and chicks,chia grass,wheatgrass,moss rose,optunia catus,prickly pear fruit, a occassional apple,sedums,kale,thistle,chammoile ar all edible plants.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
No do not feed apple.
Its bad.
All fruit is bad.
You can give a tiny tiny amount of tomatoe but never give apple its too high in sugar. and somethingj else.

dingogirl

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Agave,optunia catus,moss roses,hens and chicks,sedum,iceplant,chia plants.wheatgrass,chammomile,jade plant,aloe,prickly pear fruit,occassional apple.. Thes are all edible as well. As for as the sunflower you are feeding I would not my tort eat any kind of seeds. Could cause impaction if not digested properly. The flower is ok

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
before we get into this "whats good and whats not" argument again...
let us all remember that you should consult MULTIPLE SOURCES before feeding ANY of your pets ANYTHING. make sure your information comes from a reliable source and that other sources agree. no one has the experience nor the knowledge to say unequivocally what is good and what isnt.

c_pierce705

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Madcity, WI
josh said:
before we get into this "whats good and whats not" argument again...
let us all remember that you should consult MULTIPLE SOURCES before feeding ANY of your pets ANYTHING. make sure your information comes from a reliable source and that other sources agree. no one has the experience nor the knowledge to say unequivocally what is good and what isnt.

Thats the biggest problem, everyone says different things everytime you look around. I read somewhere (I think Sulcata-station) that it was ok to give them the occasional strawberry but then someone else said NO WAY! There are so many conflicting opinions, my overall feeling is moderation is key. Am I right?

Status
Not open for further replies.