Tortoise help (humidity, enclosure, protien, skin)

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
Sometimes you can get cheap fish tanks off Craigslist. I got a 200 gallon one for 700 with its stand. I know that's not cheap but it's cheaper than if I tried to buy one new from a store. What I'd like to mention is that your tortoise looks like ithas MBD Metabolic Bone Disease (it's a lack of calcium and proper lighting) as well as pyramiding from lack of humidity. The button thermometer on the back of your tank doesn't cut it. they are notoriously wrong. I use the one in the picture I attached. They're about $12 off Amazon and I always use more than one just to keep each other honest. The water dish isn't good enough. The rant water dishes are tripping hazards for your tortoise. A tortoise tipping over into the water dish will drown it. it's been known to happen. Those kind of water dishes are better for snakes and lizards. I'll attach a picture of what most of us use here. They are very inexpensive at Walmart or off Craigslist. Just a couple bucks and they come in different sizes. They're perfect because of the slanted sides for easy access. You can use them for food and water.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_2017-03-23-23-41-08.png
    Screenshot_2017-03-23-23-41-08.png
    229 KB · Views: 11

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I have no idea how old she is, and she is full grown. I cut and clean my own tree bark and mix it with cyprs mulch. She had a large area of water that she can drink and soak in. i soak her once a month. I cant post pictures at the moment, but i may be able to tomorrow
Welcome to the forum!

One cannot tell the age of a tort unless one knows the tort's date of birth, so as to say.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome, and I am glad you are getting the help you need for your tortoise!:)

Blackberry

Washington
Sometimes you can get cheap fish tanks off Craigslist. I got a 200 gallon one for 700 with its stand. I know that's not cheap but it's cheaper than if I tried to buy one new from a store. What I'd like to mention is that your tortoise looks like ithas MBD Metabolic Bone Disease (it's a lack of calcium and proper lighting) as well as pyramiding from lack of humidity. The button thermometer on the back of your tank doesn't cut it. they are notoriously wrong. I use the one in the picture I attached. They're about $12 off Amazon and I always use more than one just to keep each other honest. The water dish isn't good enough. The rant water dishes are tripping hazards for your tortoise. A tortoise tipping over into the water dish will drown it. it's been known to happen. Those kind of water dishes are better for snakes and lizards. I'll attach a picture of what most of us use here. They are very inexpensive at Walmart or off Craigslist. Just a couple bucks and they come in different sizes. They're perfect because of the slanted sides for easy access. You can use them for food and water.

Thanks! Right now I’m waiting until Saturday to go to Home Depot to build my own enclosure, I’ll buy the water dish and thermometer, and make it way more humid. I have only had the little guy for less then two months, so I’m still learning. I’m aware of the MBD and have been supplementing him and I didn’t know about the humidity having an effect, so I’ll do that too! Thank you guys so much for all the help