Tortoise hibernating during beginning of spring?

Leomama422

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hey so I got my testudo a few months ago he is turning 1 in a month. He recently started not moving much and staying in one place for days, he hasn’t been eating and doesn’t regularly drink so I mist him whenever i feel necessary. It’s beginning of spring and I don’t think it’s his hibernation time, the temp and humidity are normal and nothing seems to factor his behavior. I’m worried and don’t know what I can do for him.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
What are your temperatures? What bulbs are you using and substrate? Do you soak regularly? Please post pictures of the enclosure and tortoise if you can. Welcome to the forum and an expert will help you.

Leomama422

New York
Hey so I got my testudo a few months ago he is turning 1 in a month. He recently started not moving much and staying in one place for days, he hasn’t been eating and doesn’t regularly drink so I mist him whenever i feel necessary. It’s beginning of spring and I don’t think it’s his hibernation time, the temp and humidity are normal and nothing seems to factor his behavior. I’m worried and don’t know what I can do for him.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Leomama422

New York
What are your temperatures? What bulbs are you using and substrate? Do you soak regularly? Please post pictures of the enclosure and tortoise if you can. Welcome to the forum and an expert will help you.
Just did thank you

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Tortoise hate change. He has snuggled up to the rock and seems to find that safe. Please replace water and food dish with terracotta pot bases that allow your tortoise to walk and sit in. Your tort needs fresh green leaves. I also recommend warm shallow soak to build trust and connect

The problem with all glass enclosures is the tort can see out but not get out! I recommend searching for reptile backing paper and get a backing paper to remove the back outlook this goes externally stuck on with tape not inside. On the remaining 3 sides tape up around double height of your tortoise or use the same background to reduce the full outlook basically.
I have glass front door and have had to increase tape as Speedy grows but the result is a calm happy tort.
Light should be off at night, I have mine on a timer.
Check these points and see how you go if persistent a vet visit to check health but I would make changes first.

Example of paper...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B097R1ZTWT/?tag=

Last edited:

Leomama422

New York
Tortoise hate change. He has snuggled up to the rock and seems to find that safe. Please replace water and food dish with terracotta pot bases that allow your tortoise to walk and sit in. Your tort needs fresh green leaves. I also recommend warm shallow soak to build trust and connect

The problem with all glass enclosures is the tort can see out but not get out! I recommend going to an fish aquarium shop and get a backing paper to remove the back outlook. On the remaining 3 sides tape up around double height of your tortoise or use the same background to reduce the full outlook basically.
I have glass front door and have had to increase tape as Speedy grows but the result is a calm happy tort.
Light should be off at night, I have mine on a timer.
Check these points and see how you go if persistent a vet visit to check health but I would make changes first.

Example of paper...
Thank you so much will do I’ll update soon

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Did you buy the tortoise at a pet store? If yes, that could be your problem as they are wild caught and come with all sorts of baggage.

You tank is too small and you have the wrong lighting. The water bowl is dangerous and unsuitable. You got the right substrate, but this is all the typical wrong pet store info.

I'm sorry that you are learning this the hard way, but here is the correct info. Read through all of this at least twice. There is a heating/lighting break down and also a care sheet for your temperate species (Russian tortoise) at the bottom. Questions are welcome!

Leomama422

New York
Did you buy the tortoise at a pet store? If yes, that could be your problem as they are wild caught and come with all sorts of baggage.

You tank is too small and you have the wrong lighting. The water bowl is dangerous and unsuitable. You got the right substrate, but this is all the typical wrong pet store info.

I'm sorry that you are learning this the hard way, but here is the correct info. Read through all of this at least twice. There is a heating/lighting break down and also a care sheet for your temperate species (Russian tortoise) at the bottom. Questions are welcome!
Thank you! What bulb do recommend for him? Since he is from pet store is it too late to help him? I did some research and the tank seemed to be a good size, so I’m unsure. I just ordered a new water bowl today, what food bowl do u recommend?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you! What bulb do recommend for him? Since he is from pet store is it too late to help him? I did some research and the tank seemed to be a good size, so I’m unsure. I just ordered a new water bowl today, what food bowl do u recommend?
Please read the info I linked for you. All of this is explained in those threads. You will understand more about what is going on and why you got the wrong info after reading.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi. If, after you have made the changes Tom said you need to make, and your tortoise is finally in the right conditions, you then give him a more secure, darker hide, that will be all you have to do for him to be healthy.