Sophie_d

Location (City and/or State)
Glasgow
Hi my 4 year old horsefield/Russian tortoise has began humping a rock in her enclosure. It started last week and she’s been doing it ever since multiple times a day - I’m unsure if this is normal? As we were told she was female when we got her and it this still seems correct. I’m wondering if should I remove the rock?

Her behaviour has been odd lately too and very active from repeatedly trying to climb up her hide out to pacing and filling her water dish up with dirt every single time I change it? She has never done this before but started this a few weeks ago. I’m not sure if she is distressed or not, she is eating completely fine but I’m mostly concerned about the rock humping and the filling her dish with dirt.

Any help would be great thanks !!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi my 4 year old horsefield/Russian tortoise has began humping a rock in her enclosure. It started last week and she’s been doing it ever since multiple times a day - I’m unsure if this is normal? As we were told she was female when we got her and it this still seems correct. I’m wondering if should I remove the rock?

Her behaviour has been odd lately too and very active from repeatedly trying to climb up her hide out to pacing and filling her water dish up with dirt every single time I change it? She has never done this before but started this a few weeks ago. I’m not sure if she is distressed or not, she is eating completely fine but I’m mostly concerned about the rock humping and the filling her dish with dirt.

Is it possible that "she" is a "he"? She's moving around her enclosure, making dirt in the dish. Sounds normal to me...

chubu

oman

Filling the dish with dirt is normal. Im not sure about the rock never had that. Maybe try replace the rock with a different one?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Does this humping cause any irritation to the skin or injuries, if so of course remove the rock. Could you send us a picture of the tail of your tortoise? All Russians look female when they are young and the males start to develop male characteristics later with hormones.

Sophie_d

Glasgow
As far as I can tell no, I’ve attached a picture though. thank you !

Attachments

• IMG_8734.jpeg
    IMG_8734.jpeg
    573.7 KB · Views: 1

Sophie_d

Glasgow
Is it possible that "she" is a "he"? She's moving around her enclosure, making dirt in the dish. Sounds normal to me...
Yeah I’m thinking of that possibility, just wasn’t sure if her change in activity was normal as she is usually very chill at this time of year, she’s usually just a sleepy tortoise lol

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
For us to properly help, we need to get the details of how he is kept... enclosure size, substrate, temperatures, humidity level, lights and diet? Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks female. Female tortoises sometimes show breeding behaviour when they're receptive to mating.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Any help would be great thanks
What size is the enclosure, and what are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and over night low?

This sounds like typical male behavior, and its hard to tel the sex of most Russians at 4 years old.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome!!🐢💚

I don’t suppose you’d mind trying to answer these questions? Don’t worry if you can answer all of them, they might help members advise you on adjustments though if needed🙂

What are your temperatures like? Ie basking spot(directly under the bulb) overall day and night temps?
What kind of lighting&heating are you using specifically? Packaging pics are good if you have any!
Do you use indoor uv? If so what kind are you using?
How’s your humidity reading? What do you use for substrate?
How’s her diet been with you?

Any answers to those would be great along with a photo of your full set up if you didn’t mind😊