Tortoise Identification help

Status
Not open for further replies.

atklosek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hancock, MI
all we know for sure that the store was feeding them was lettuce, apples, and random weeds. the tank also held earth worms but we arent sure if they were eating those because it was mostly for cleanliness. they bragged about never having to clean the tank because of the worms.

and right now we just have a 60watt light on the tank mostly to provide heat. we are looking into getting a heat bulb/pad or something and then having a dimmer light instead.

we also just picked up a mister bottle for them!

atklosek

5 Year Member
Hancock, MI
The tank is finished!
15qyyy9.jpg

2zxunp1.jpg

63wvmo.jpg

k1qjye.jpg

and here they are enjoying their new home!
2zyc201.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You two have really done some work and given it thought and it really shows.

I am assuming the light on the open hide is just for us to better see what is going on in there, not usually there, correct? The hide part, especially just gives me a sense of dry. I would lose the wood in there (tho it's nice) and instead add in something like long strand spagnum moss for humidity.

I think I recall, your trading the light for a heat emitter soon? You most likely get enough light coming in the window for them without additional light. The glass will take away the UV benefits, but they should do okay without it. Maybe picking some up when outside in the summer?

I think I see a water dish in the corner, right? Just a warning, they will track thru it often with it being in a corner and can make a mess of it, but it won't hurt it being there. Is it deep enough they can submerge up to where the water would meet the joining of the two shells? Hinges tend to like deep soakings.

Be sure, when you do get the heat emitter, that you don't put it near the logs, as they could fall off and on to their backs. Under a source of heat, that can cause problems, if they can't flip back over.

Great to see the shot of the one eating! :D These two must think they have found tortoise heaven!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Another thought, seeing the house heater right there, is you may not even need the heat emitter depending on how warm you keep your place. Watch what the heater does to temps once you have it turned on this winter, too.

atklosek

5 Year Member
Hancock, MI
yeah i know about the heater, but we dont think its going to be getting all that hot due to my roomates being really cheap about our gas bill so they want to keep the house at around 60-65. So we want to get the heat emitter just in case that dosnt get warm enough and they need a little extra!

We also just got a new little tray for water thats quite a bit bigger and deeper to allow for better soakings.

Tomorrow we are thinking about going out to pick up fallen leaves to place into the hiding area so there is a bit of variety in their lives lol

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Based on the size of the gular scutes and the concavity of the carapace, my best guess is that it's a Kinixys erosa (forest hingeback). Those species get the largest but are the prettiest of the hingebacks.

You have a nice enclosure, but I think you should include some plants (live or fake, doesn't matter which) around the edges to reduce stress. Hingebacks, especially K.erosa are very shy and need the extra cover. They'll eventually lose the shyness, but it's still a good idea to make them feel secure at all times.

About the substrate, I would recommend switching to a mix of 60/40 topsoil and play sand. Make this layer about 4" deep, so the hingebacks can bury themselves as they wish. This substrate also retains a lot of moisture.

I think you have done a great job freeing these animals from "hell on earth" and providing them with a more caring home. Kudos to you for doing all that you could for these animals and I really hope that they become healthier under your care.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Hi tortoises101, welcome to the forum!

I do not recommend play sand at all. It has a tendency to stick to eyes, and in the creases of skin around the neck and legs. Cypress mulch with some leaf litter or coco coir is a much better choice.

Also these tortoises are not K. erosa. They are K. homeana.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tortoise101 Hi!. Like Kristina said, these are Homes. Go to post #14 (I believe that's the post). The second picture is the one to look at. Go back toward the end of the carapace. See the knobby bump on the fifth vertebral scute? See how from there it does a rapid drop off? That tells us, that it is a Homes.

As for the preference of the sand in the soil, don't tell Kristina, but that is my preference too. ;) About 90% of each of my inside enclosures have the coir/sand mixture and then leaf litter and/or cypress makes up the rest. I too choose it, because I think it does a much better job of allowing them to dig into the substrate and to hold the humidity.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I saw that, Jacqui :p

Each of us have our own preference ;) My personal fave is actually a couple inches of top soil with a layer of coco coir on top. That way I can seed good things to eat directly into the substrate, and they can dig burrows that hold up over time.

We all agree on what the BAD substrates are (Calci-sand, alfalfa pellets, newspaper, etc.) and that is the important thing ;)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hey, newspaper isn't bad. Just depends WHY your using it. For example are you working on killing a heavy parasite load. :pI do actually know a very well educated in tortoises (one of the major ones being hingebacks), that keeps all hingebacks all the time on newspapers. They do well, including creating youngins.:rolleyes:

The coir/sand combo works well for plants too. I seed and plant grown plants both inside and then too, outside in pots (that's what I do with the old substrate as I replace it).

But yes, it's a matter of preference and availability, what counts is it gets the job needed done well.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.