Tortoise in Alaska

907tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Anchorage
I am a brand new tortoise owner in Anchorage AK. I would like to plant some grass in my tortoise enclosure and need advise on what kind my Red Leg is like to eat that would be healthy.

many other advise to get this guy through the winter would be appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Redfooted tortoises (Chelonoidis carbonaria) don't eat much grass, preferring broad leaf weeds and plants. They eat flowers and animal matter too.

907tortoise

Anchorage
Redfooted tortoises (Chelonoidis carbonaria) don't eat much grass, preferring broad leaf weeds and plants. They eat flowers and animal matter too.
Ok, I have a collection of houseplants but they have fertilizer. I am wanting something I can plant from seed that is good and fast growing for my critter.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Any of the squash varieties, hosta, rose of sharon, pansies, . . . come on, folks. Jump in here and help me out!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome to the TFO. I hope you have a good grocery store for green leafy veggies like collard greens, escarole, romaine, spring greens etc through the winter. You might be able to add to that by growing other stuff inside and plant some outside in the spring. Do dandelions grow in Alaska? What kinds of weeds already grow around you? Even those could be safe. If you know what they are or post a picture, I'm sure someone on here will know if they are safe edibles. Best wishes.?