Tortoise in danger and I need advice

helosoldier66

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Alabama
A adult Gopher tortoise has dug a burrow about 10 ft from a very busy road at the end of my street and I would like to know if anyone has ever tried to relocate one. I have seen several people intentionally run over tortoises here even adult Gophers.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'd call animal control and ask them for the number of a rescue or a professional that can legally help.
It is illegal to catch or otherwise interfere with a Gopher tortoise here in Florida ( I assume you are in Florida)
At the very least, animal control should be able to suggest something.
I see you are in Alabama. I'm not sure about laws there.
Please give us an update

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's very hard to relocate them, as they're territorial. If you move him, he'll spend his days trying to get back to "his" territory.

samkerns1

5 Year Member
Southwest Georgia
Local Fish and Wildlife office or DNR might be helpful. Or is a game warden part of one of those departments?

helosoldier66

5 Year Member
Southern Alabama
I have been watching it a local animal rehab said its possible its nesting. I'm going to try and get it moved this week. If they are as territorial as people say it is going to dangerous due to the area being developed on one half and the other is a farmers land.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have been watching it a local animal rehab said its possible its nesting. I'm going to try and get it moved this week. If they are as territorial as people say it is going to dangerous due to the area being developed on one half and the other is a farmers land.
Whole habitat areas here get destroyed all the time.
Progress.

SULCY

NEW YORK
They build on all the good pieces of land and then spend millions of tax dollars creating habitat just a crazy cycle.

helosoldier66

5 Year Member
Southern Alabama
Left a message with a state biologist today so hopefully they will return my call. The game warden said they won't do anything since they are federally protected.