Tortoise in Hong Kong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiona

5 Year Member
Hi! I'm new to the world of tortoises! We moved to Hong Kong at the end of last year and 'inherited' a tortoise in the garden... one day he just came out in the rain. The house had been empty for at least a year before we moved in, and we know from talking to the neighbours that 'he' was in the garden when the last owners moved in.

'He' has recently come out of hibernation (he started hibernating from the middle of December as it only got colder in HK at that time, under a low lying garden bush). We were wondering if anyone could help us identify the subfamily so that we can look after 'him' better.. I have looked endlessly through Wiki etc but I don't think I can correctly identify 'him'.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20101213 Tortoise 2.JPG
    20101213 Tortoise 2.JPG
    484.1 KB · Views: 166

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum, that is a very unique turtle...Hong Kong wow, I have been there twice very different, loved the boats..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Looks like some kind of a leaf turtle similar to box turtles.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I agree with dmmj, it does look similar to the chinese black breasted leaf turtle. This should be posted in the turtle forum. That is a nice housewarming gift!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think that's a three-keeled box turtle ((Pyxidea mouhotii or Cuora mouhotii). Its a really nice, friendly turtle, similar to our box turtles here in the states.

Hi Fiona:

Welcome to the forum!!

Fiona

5 Year Member
Dear All,

Thank you very much for the warm welcome and all the replies! ... it does appear to be a three-keeled box turtle! Wow.... friendly and smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.