tortoise is buried - nights are cold ???

LadyV

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winslow AZ
We thought Bella had gotten out, but in reality she had dug herself into the ground of her enclose....t has gotten rather cold here t night and I think she went into hibernation. We had been putting her out in the warmer days....but through the winter she was inside in her house with a light....can I dig her out or should I leave her and let her come out on her own?

M

Maggie Cummings

I'm thinking we need more info. What kind of tortoise? How is she kept? Are the days warm and just the nights cold? How warm are your daytime temps now? I am thinking you can dig her up, stick her in some warm water then keep her inside until she's eating regularly. But I don't have any torts that hibernate, so wait until a real hibernation expert replies...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How cold are the night temps there? How many nights did she spend outside? What are the day temps warming up to?

This is not an emergency in any way. You have plenty of time to decide what to do.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Provide the requested info please.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
I'm thinking we need more info. What kind of tortoise? How is she kept? Are the days warm and just the nights cold? How warm are your daytime temps now? I am thinking you can dig her up, stick her in some warm water then keep her inside until she's eating regularly. But I don't have any torts that hibernate, so wait until a real hibernation expert replies...
We did not hibernate her, she had a heat and sun lamp as usual for winter, if you have seen any of my other posts (probably not) we've had her quite awhile...bout 7 years now. the weather had warmed here to the high 70s and so we were putting her out in her enclosure and bringing her in as it was still in the 30s at night.....I went to get her and couldn't find her, she sometime digs in but never to where I can't see...I looked everywhere, posted signs ran an ad cried fussed and you name it, last night I dreamed she was in her enclosure (whole nother story). Was busy all day and remembered my dream and asked hubby to get in the enclosure and really dig around deep....she has been there for a couple of weeks now with the temps dipping into the low 30s at night...she is a Russian and she is so very loved...what's the best way to handle this for her

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
We did not hibernate her, she had a heat and sun lamp as usual for winter, if you have seen any of my other posts (probably not) we've had her quite awhile...bout 7 years now. the weather had warmed here to the high 70s and so we were putting her out in her enclosure and bringing her in as it was still in the 30s at night.....I went to get her and couldn't find her, she sometime digs in but never to where I can't see...I looked everywhere, posted signs ran an ad cried fussed and you name it, last night I dreamed she was in her enclosure (whole nother story). Was busy all day and remembered my dream and asked hubby to get in the enclosure and really dig around deep....she has been there for a couple of weeks now with the temps dipping into the low 30s at night...she is a Russian and she is so very loved...what's the best way to handle this for her
the weather forecast for here is now going into the 80s and low 90s by week end with lows in the mid to 40s and low 50s

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
I'm sorry if it isn't as emergency. I freak when I'm not sure about what to do for one f my babies...LOL...worked with animals all my life too.....it's different when it's yours

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If she was dug in, even a few inches below the surface, and the day temps are getting 80-90, she is probably just fine. I would put her in the indoor enclosure, soak her daily for a little while to move any old food through her gut, and leave her be for a few days.

M

Maggie Cummings

See? I was almost correct. Stop worrying about her, she's fine and she just did what comes naturally...:)

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
well...it's been on the low 60s and mid 70s till the coming weekend...so bring her in and do a soak...she likes her soaks, put her "back outside" or in her inside home till the warmer weekend temps?

M

Maggie Cummings

Tom says inside. Soak her and leave her in, see how she is. He says soaks will move the old food out of her gut. Do you think she's been eating? I'd soak her daily for a few days, keep her inside, has she eaten recently?

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
Ok....I brought her in and held her on my chest for a while, let her warn up slowly....got the dirt off of her and she is soaking, she seems find stuck her head out to be rubbed, crawling around.NO she has not eaten as I have not planted her salads in her enclosure yet and I have of course not fed her.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would have just marked where she was buried in and then kept an eye on the "spot"....she took to knowing what to do when faced with cooler temps....not that you did anything wrong, but I would not have been too worried....now, the story would have changed for me if the temps where below freezing with rain in the forecast....:)

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
I would have just marked where she was buried in and then kept an eye on the "spot"....she took to knowing what to do when faced with cooler temps....not that you did anything wrong, but I would not have been too worried....now, the story would have changed for me if the temps where below freezing with rain in the forecast....:)
Thank you all...I have cried for a week and have just been beside myself.....thank you all for responding so quickly......I love that little stinker!!!!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
They will dig in when it is cool and when it gets to hot. Your tort is probably just regulating her temps. We dropped into the 50'2 the past few nights here in North Texas and mine all went under but in the afternoon sun they pop right up and start sun bathing. These spring time temps should not be an issue for a Russian tort. They need the cool down at night as long as it isn't too cool and they can get under ground when needed.

akbecker

5 Year Member
Thornton, CO
I had the same thing happen! My little Russian was out in the enclosure for maybe 3-4 hours on a sunny day, and when I went to fetch him, I couldn't find him anywhere. But I know my pen is super secure, so I ended up digging up large parts of it - ruined a lot of great new growth I had :( and ended up finding him buried 8-10 inches. The soil above him didn't look disturbed, so I didn't think he'd be there. Such little buggers!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What worries me is that it is spring, your tortoise has been eating all winter, and when you "lost" her outside the night temps were cold enough to induce hibernation behavior and the tortoise spent several days underground NOT warming up and thermoregulating and NOT digesting all that food in her gut. One of the paramount principles of hibernation is to have an empty gut. Now don't panic. I don't think she was down long enough for it to be a major issue, but I would keep her warm and with more stable indoor temps, a basking light and daily soaks for a while. That way, if the food in her gut did begin to rot, you can push it through and out before there is an issue.

How is her behavior? Is she eating and thermoregulating since being brought back in? I think exercise and sunshine on warm days is still fine, but in this case I would want her inside at night.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I really think she will be OK if she was only down for a couple of weeks. Just keep her inside for a few days with daily soaks. When she acts normal again, and eats, then you can take her outside during the days, sounds like they are plenty warm. It was the night temps into the 30's that made her think it was time to 'go down', she was playing it safe.
Now you have an idea of where she likes to burrow, so mark the area and you can bring her in if nights are going to be <50.
By the way, does her enclosure get morning sun to warm it up?