Tortoise is not eating anything.

calmingwind

Location (City and/or State)
Phx Az
Y
Looks like some sort of infection, possibly sepsis. If you have exotic vets in your area he needs to go. You can try soaking him in water mixed with carrot baby food. Gluck
ou can soak him in warm water with some tetracycline in it over night I’ve done this to my snakes when they were sick it’s a low antibiotic

Terri123

edmonton
Hello,
My tortoise is not eating anything from the last 20-25 days......I have put him in uv lamp....also give variety of foods but is not eating.... sometimes drink water only.....his skin is also pilling off and also reddish spot on his neck....may be he is in pain.....please help
Hi, I am not an expert, but I do have an adult box turtle I've had for about 10 years, and over the years I've learned a lot .. SO... here is some advice that might help your poor little guy.. FIRST, please do look on youtube at enclosures, I have Toby in a glass terrarium (and yes, some people say glass isn't good, but Toby loves it, he actually happily watches me have breakfast every morning, but I do take him out often), SECOND, the lights, both UVA/UVB and heat lamps (I'm not an expert with this either, but basically Toby has "sunlight light across his terrarium" and 2 warming lights) MUST be close enough to the little guy, you can put your hand in his terrarium to make sure it's warm enough but you can use a thermometer as well), THIRD PLEASE put some substrate in there, so he can burrow and it will hold the humidity, so for Toby I literally just have tortoise carpet (just like carpet) PLUS sphagnum moss because I spray it every day, and it holds humidity and he loves to burrow in it, you can use organic potting soil, or coconut loom, instead of, or in addition to the moss, but I've tried many things, and Toby likes this the best. FOURTH, for the respiratory infection, maybe the vet can give him an injection? Toby had a respiratory infection, and my vet gave me antibiotics, but Toby wouldn't eat them, what I was supposed to do, was somehow ?? pry his mouth open to give him the meds, but I couldn't get his mouth open to give them to him (what a dumb idea, not the part of the vet! Yeesh) So... besides praying, I made sure to keep his extra extra warm, lots of humidity for his respiratory infection (ie. spray the substrate), I put vitamin C drops on his food (I gave him the foods I knew he wouldn't turn down, even though they weren't the best for him, like blueberries, corn.. if I was totally desperate, I would use strawberry flavoured yogurt- no you should not give your turtle dairy but I was desperate - and the vet said it was ok, very rarely- and it worked because he loves this), daily warm baths, I think that's about it, and he got better by himself. but for your turtle's neck infection, that's serious, I think you should try a different herp vet? he neds antibiotics for that, for sure, which means an injection, maybe fluids too, and a B12 infection? I don't know if this will help at all, but it can't hurt to put aloe vera on the sore neck, as it's viral, and safe for turtles, I understand (but please double check with your vet), polysporin? if safe? but please treat him with an injection of antibiotics, . Please let us know how he is doing. Fingers and Toes crossed, he will get better soon, Best, Terri.

Prashant

@jitin2710sharma do regular soaks in warm water also you can do it in carrot juice do this thrice a day till you see improvement.keep it daily under sunlight for half an hour mild sunlight not harsh.

I had similar problems regarding eating only.

mine didn't eat for 15 days then after all this one day it started eating.and now has grown bigger.its now 2 1/2 years old. 4+ inch in size.slow growing steadily growing. i dont hand feed or overfeed.
I believe that they have natural instinct they know when to eat when to not. when they dont eat they go into recovery/self healing mode so help them in that state.they will be fine.
In case of other issues do go to vet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,
My tortoise is not eating anything from the last 20-25 days......I have put him in uv lamp....also give variety of foods but is not eating.... sometimes drink water only.....his skin is also pilling off and also reddish spot on his neck....may be he is in pain.....please help
This is labeled for sulcatas and leopards, but care for stars is the same. Keep the enclosure warm day and night:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-star-tortoise.159167/