Tortoise just awoken from hibernation

Georgy

Location (City and/or State)
North Wales
Hi - my very old girl normally hibernates until March but I went to get something out of loft and have found her awake and she has eaten her way out of her box. Guessing I shud just keep her awake now and inside the house as it’s still very cold for her to go outside? She’s normally very experienced and like clockwork Year after year so this is very unusual for her. Thanks

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi - my very old girl normally hibernates until March but I went to get something out of loft and have found her awake and she has eaten her way out of her box. Guessing I shud just keep her awake now and inside the house as it’s still very cold for her to go outside? She’s normally very experienced and like clockwork Year after year so this is very unusual for her. Thanks
Hello and welcome from Devon. What a good thing you had to go to the loft ! I don't think you can try to put her back in hibernation if she may have eaten straw or whatever you put in her box, and is actually wandering around. I think you would be better keeping her warm indoors - the weather has been so mixed up this year that I would imagine other tortoises have been having the same problems. Maybe for next winter you might want to look for a small fridge for her to hibernate in.
Best wishes from Angie

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome from Devon. What a good thing you had to go to the loft ! I don't think you can try to put her back in hibernation if she may have eaten straw or whatever you put in her box, and is actually wandering around. I think you would be better keeping her warm indoors - the weather has been so mixed up this year that I would imagine other tortoises have been having the same problems. Maybe for next winter you might want to look for a small fridge for her to hibernate in.
Best wishes from Angie
I also think you might need to give her a few long soaks in warm water, and offer some watery food such as cucumber, to rehydrate her.
Sorry, I should have thought of this before.
Angie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Please read this and follow the care info for bringing a tortoise out of brumation. Your tortoise needs a large heated enclosure with the proper heating and lighting elements now. Loose in the house is not safe, and down on the floor is too cold.

Next year, you need to ensure that temps stay correct, and the brumation box should not be something the tortoise can escape from.