"Tortoise Land" in LA has tortoises for sale or rescue ? Sulcata,Leopards, Redfoot, Russian

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I don't know this organization, but passing this along. Lots of torts in LA. Not sure if this is a legit place or not...

At Tortoise Land we are looking to rehome a bunch of tortoises that are looking for forever homes <3. All rehoming fees goes back to the non profit organization of Tortoise Land!!!
• Frank- Frank is a male leopard tortoise that loves butt scratches
• Shy Gurl- Shy Gurl is female sulcata tortoise and daughter of Max the one that started it all
• Torga- Torga is a female sulcata tortoise that has a deformed shell but doesn’t stop her from exploring and making new friends
• Ali Drifter- Ali Drifter is a female sulcata tortoise who is super friendly and outgoing
• Terry- Terry is a male Russian tortoise who’s occasionally shy but is such a sweetheart
• Leo- Leo is a male leopard tortoise who loves eating lots of yummy greens
• Dumpstah- Dumpstah is a female sulcata tortoise that her and her sister Compton were found in a dumpster in the city of Compton
• Compton- Compton is a female sulcata tortoise that was found in a dumpster along with her sister Dumpstah
• Marmalade- Marmalade is a male red foot tortoise who is very outgoing and super friendly and curious
• Juvie- Juvie is a male red foot tortoise who is shy but super friendly
• Digger- Digger is a female sulcata tortoise and by the name, loves to dig
• Baby Sulcata tortoises- 31 baby sulcata tortoises looking for a loving and forever home

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Also if anyone knows about this group and they are not legit, let me know and I won't share anymore and will delete this

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
To me, the fact that it's the same property and in a lot of photos the same person. Is a good sign.
And also these tortoises are not super rare or in great condition.
I have a good feeling about it.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
To me, the fact that it's the same property and in a lot of photos the same person. Is a good sign.
And also these tortoises are not super rare or in great condition.
I have a good feeling about it.

I agree they are not in good condition, but they do honestly look like what I see on Craigslist so that would be the state they got them. Its the fact they sell babies that is a flag for me. Here is the guy's site: https://thetortoiseguy.com/

EricW

Houston, TX
They have a website: https://tortoiseland.org/

The same guy is pictured on it.
I agree they are not in good condition, but they do honestly look like what I see on Craigslist so that would be the state they got them. Its the fact they sell babies that is a flag for me. Here is the guy's site: https://thetortoiseguy.com/
Yeah, it is odd he has eggs incubating, but I suppose people could have a pair or more and reaching out to him to take the eggs. Who knows. He saw somewhere Tortoise Land is a 501(c)(3). I did look it up and it checks out on the IRS website, but the address is up near Thousand Oaks instead of the heart of LA.

I believe this guy is Kevin Nored and was mentioned previously in the Tortoise Forum, @Yvonne G mentions him and seemed to know a bit about him.

Ricky j

Wisconsin
Also if anyone knows about this group and they are not legit, let me know and I won't share anymore and will delete this
It's looks legit you can Google the name it's a rescue center most the tortoises have pyramiding you can clearly see that by the pictures so it ain't like he's trying to hide anything plus I'd imagine with them bigger sulcatas you'd have to go there and pick them up anyway so it would be a face to face transaction at least I assume it would be now if they said they won't meet you and they only ship to you then assume it's a scam unless it's a well know turtle/tortoise breeder

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I get the impression that these folks decided to rescue tortoises but have now realized they bit off more than they can chew, consequently they're trying to thin down the herd.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
its plausible to have an address in one location and the place in another. From searching on them, it sounds like they are in Larchmont which is indeed a neighbhood "in the heart of" LA. Legit description for that

EricW

Houston, TX
Yeah, I've seen youtubers, that doesn't make me impressed with them. But I haven't seen his...
yeah, I get your point on YouTube and I know in other things, such as dogs, there are plenty of folks with tons of followers and aren't as legit as they come across as. But still, was mainly saying he is apparently someone doing something and not just some guy out there trying to flip tortoises under the radar and for a quick buck.

One of my pet peeves as dogs is the folks breeding and call it adoption. They have a whole twist on it and use it to tug on people emotional side. Meanwhile they are borderline puppy mills.

Last edited:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
yeah, I get your point on YouTube and I know in other things, such as dogs, there are plenty of folks with tons of followers and aren't as legit as they come across as. But still, was mainly saying he is apparently someone doing something and not just some guy out there trying to flip tortoises under the radar and for a quick buck.
He's definitely not a flipper I see on CL often. Wasn't thinking he was flipping, but as someone who does dog rescue, sometimes you also find people who are more hoarders who get overwhelmed.