Tortoise living with domestic cats

Spannerz

Hi,

I'm due to buy my tortoise at the end of the month. I already have 2 cats who are very loving and sweet in general but obviously have that predatory side by nature.

I'm just wondering if any of you have experience of cats and tortoise living together and how this has worked out for you?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
How big is the tortoise? I doubt that most cats would bother with one over a certain size. I had a cat that used to live in my tortoises dog house on rainy nights until I devised a motion sensor alarm that my tortoise would not set off. It scared the cat away. My concern was that the tortoise seemed to seek out...and eat...cat poo. Otherwise, they seemed oblivious to one another.

Spannerz

The breeders I have been looking in to have young tortoise between 4 and 9 months, if you can gauge the size based on age. For the most part I will keep the tortoise indoors except for on beautiful days such as today. I plan on getting a run type of outdoor set up for the earlier stages. My cats tend to be curious about a lot of things. I'm not so much worried, but just wanted a general idea about how it would go down.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
when one of our kittens tried to climb in the table i squirted it with water i only had to do it twice and now it doesn't even try. you could always make a wire screen to keep them out if needs be.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Probably the biggest concern would be your cats getting into the enclosure and getting burned from the lights and heat or possibly starting a fire. The best would be to make an enclosure that the cats can't get into. This will keep everyone safe and secure.

Spannerz

Thank you, that is something we have already discussed and we are considering using the upper part of a large guinea pig cage to cover the indoor set up, this will allow for natural light and also for us to be able to observe behaviours during the settling in period you might say.

Spannerz

I can imagine they do, sneaky little tinkers sometimes. I don't want to prevent or restrict either the cats or the tortoise from being comfortable and happy in our home so I think I'll just see how it goes. I've not heard any horror stories and as I say, generally our cats are very loving. It's usually things that fly that I see them chase after so tort might get lucky lol

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
There are 7 cats living with me (they aren't really mine) and not a one seems to care about any of my turtles or torts. A couple like to watch my fish in the big turtle tank, but not a one has shown interest in the tort themselves.
One if the kitties is indoor/outdoor, so she'll roam around with my sulcata, but HAHA, what damage will she do to a big tort like that??

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
My cat had to be taught that the enclosure is not a litter box when my Leopard tort was little. They almost play now that he is bigger. My cat stalks him out side n will pounce n run away. Mort completely ignores her. I keep smaller torts in an enclosure with a lid outside to be safe. The cat could flip them over at the least.

Spannerz

Thanks again for the great advice and sharing your experiences. I think while the tort is smaller I'll keep the enclosures covered.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Some cats can be taught. Others need mechanical barriers to prevent them from using the habitat as a litter box. I've had both over the decades. One was so old and small I didn't think she could leap that far, and she had never did it in her youth.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have lots and lots of cats, tame and feral. I have never had a tortoise hurt by a cat, even the ones who are great for hunting other things. I have cats curled up with tortoises inside and out. The one problem (besides the litterbox problem) was I had a cat get her hair up against a light and start smoldering.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Once a cat tried scratching my tortoise, a small kitten. I literally tried shooing her away numerous times. Its like that "hunting experience" changed her... Thats the only experience I have with cats and tortoises.

Spannerz

I really appreciate you all taking the time to reply. It's very reassuring to hear that there have been no major incidents between the cars and tortoise :)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Oooh I got really excited when I saw this, I also have a cat and a tortoise so its been cool to read others experiences, many of which I too have had!

My cat (Semore) was a stray dropped off by someone we assume because we have a farm (know he was a pet because he's neutered and very friendly once he knew us). So he had been outside fending for himself hunting for food, up until a few summers ago he'd go out during the days, but then we had a fox problem and he's about 12 now so we keep him in, anyways back to tort-cat relationships!
When I first started bringing Franklin (Russian Tort) outside free roam and closely followed Semore would always stick close by watching him, a few times he came close booped Nank's shell then moved on (if he continued interest I shooed him away for Nank's safety) Otherwise outside was the only time Semore saw Nank as "prey"... or play lol.

Inside Nanks enclosure is closed off and secured, also high up so I've never had problems there.

I also have a "mobile home" for Nank of the Rubbermaid tubs so he could come over and "watch TV with us" mostly just give him some interaction and space since his tank is too small. Semore peed in it when it was mulch... right in front of me too! the nerve! Thankfully Nank wasn't in there at the time! (so now I have a mat and towel, not ideal but we also don't really use it anymore)

My avatar picture was them first meeting the day I brought Nank home.

Sometimes when Semore's asleep I like to plop Nank on his bed and watch him burrow into Semore's chubby warm tummy... however after the first experience Semores never allowed it again! Even if I show Nank to Semore he gets up and leaves... guess he doesn't like his "brother" lol.

Anyways those are my experiences with Cat and Tort. :) sounds like you got it smartly worked out: theres no major problems mentioned in the history of threads like dog stories but still take precautions, smart :)

Ever seen the video of the kitten on the sulcata??!! Just chilling out going for a ride!

Spannerz

What a lovely reply and a great little story. I love the names by the way. I like to believe that my little fur babies are free spirits. They never pee in the house or anything so we kind of just let them do what they want for the most part. I will want the same for tort too, so I think I'll just let nature play out as one should and only step in if and when needs be.

Our cats..Chester (Chewy for short) and Stitchface are both the kind that like to show off their catch and present it to us like a gift rather than catch and kill, if that makes sense? I'm confident and hopeful that this will stand when we introduce a different kind of baby to the family.

Spannerz

Yes, I have seen the video... I love watching anything like that.

I can't wait until we have our forever home (in the next 2 years all being well) and then I can get started on building my little farm of animals.

I feel like I have SO much love to give and the best way I know how is caring for animals. My husband calls it my "Pet"-ernal Instinct.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
This kitten was born outside in the tort pen. Her and two brothers. This Kitty in paticular fell in love with my Spunky, She'd sit and watch him for hours. I'm like Ms. Jackie in the way of I have feral cats and house cats indoor/outdoor, with the exception of one, Who Absolutely will NOT go outside :rolleyes: (The only cat I've ever had that refused the outside world.) I've Never even once had an incident. The kittens once grown lost all interest. When they were little they'd chase each other ( the kittens of course ) LOL, around and inside, the outside enclosures, I never recall the tort or torts being phased by it, in any way.

Attachments

• 1410507124564.jpg
    1410507124564.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 28