Tortoise Lovers from Iowa give me some tips on outdoor enclosures! Thanks

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi Benjamin and welcome to you and your tort. You have found a great place for information and inspiration.

I'm in the UK so can't help with your request but I'm sure someone will be along who can soon.

Meanwhile, have you seen the caresheets for you type of tort that will tell you about general temps and humidity etc Also do searches there may be something pops up in the results. There's also the Enclosures and Beginners Mistakes threads that have good ideas.
So read, search and ask as many questions as you want you'll get lots of answers and advice in time.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank You Lyn, I am probably the only 17 year old that does not know how to navigate a app lol so I am learning slowly!
I always use my laptop - that's much easier!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"Old technology"????? I don't have a cell phone, tablet or laptop. I Love, Love, Love my PC!!!!!

Russian tortoises can withstand a bit cooler temperatures, but his outdoor habitat should be someplace that gets full sun all day long. Then you plant some shrubs and plants for shade. They don't really eat too much grass, but they DO love to dig into it and bury themselves in the roots. I like to leave a small area of bare dirt. It's easier for them to sit on the bare dirt and warm up than it is for them to sit on the grass and warm up.

Benjamin13

I live in the hills and my backyard faces east and gets about 5 hours of morning sun and then the sun moves over the house and the backyard becomes shaded! Would putting a UVB light and Basking Help?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If you use the search for how much uv that may help. I have seen posts about it somewhere. he wouldn't need to be out all day - an hour in the sun in the morning may be more than enough If the ground temps are warm enough and no chilly wind etcbut see what the more experienced folk say.

volcom6981

5 Year Member
Landscape Timbers make nice enclosures. I dig most of my grass out of they enclosures, and just leave a small patch with clover, and other weeds. Plants and shrubs make nice shade spots, and gives them something to eat as well