Tortoise making moaning sounds through out the day like he is crying but eating well. Please help.

Tortoise making moaning sounds??

• Tortoise maybe due to making funny sounds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tortoise maybe due to making funny sounds

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
If that is a prolonged moaning type sound and it is not accompanying "flashing" - it is then a serious matter.

Normally would be egg bound or a blockage of some type. Perhaps a stone has developed and now is blocking. Is the tortoise still able to excrete or "poop" OK? If not, you should get an x-ray ASAP.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wow, he is in Dubai...wonder what type of tortoise it is...and if he can get to a reptile vet there!
Harish, sorry about this problem...try to get him to a vet ASAP. And stop feeding him until you know what is wrong.

Strawb

Dubai
Im in dubai as well. Recently acquired two indian stars and its been really difficult adjusting to them.

I read up and did my research before getting them but there are things you find out along the way.

If you do find a good vet here, do let me know just incase the need arises. Right now i just separated them as i sense bullying between the two.

Having torts is literally like having additional children

Harish chainani

Dubai
Hi Everyone, thanks for all feedback. It's a Male Syrian Torroise and when it started making sounds then I thought it's some kind of a Mating call and its giving in to its urges. But I really feel silly now after getting all the responses. I also bought a Female for him but they always go opposites. I feel I have bought a very small female for my male. It has been fed regularly and is also popping normally.

There is Nad Al Sheba Vertinary clinic which looks at all cases related to reptiles. Since it's been eating even more after the sound began, i gave up on the idea of taking him to the Vet. I am going to reconsider now. If anyone wants to see the video then I can send it but dont know where to upload it. Awaiting more help and details. Regards.

Strawb

Dubai
Hi Everyone, thanks for all feedback. It's a Male Syrian Torroise and when it started making sounds then I thought it's some kind of a Mating call and its giving in to its urges. But I really feel silly now after getting all the responses. I also bought a Female for him but they always go opposites. I feel I have bought a very small female for my male. It has been fed regularly and is also popping normally.

There is Nad Al Sheba Vertinary clinic which looks at all cases related to reptiles. Since it's been eating even more after the sound began, i gave up on the idea of taking him to the Vet. I am going to reconsider now. If anyone wants to see the video then I can send it but dont know where to upload it. Awaiting more help and details. Regards.

Hi Harish ... can you post pictures of his enclosure and his heating system? .... this would help the forum members understand the situation.

Cheers.

Harish chainani

Dubai
I just checked and found out that he hasnt pooped since last 2 days. I think its straining the poop. I will take him to the Vet at the earliest. STRAWB I just usually put him indoors in the night to sleep at Room temperature. In the Morning I usually put him outside the Balcony for an hour and then again Indoors making sure that the Air Conditiong is off where ever they are placed. I know they have to be put under UV light during some time of the day but I am not having much information about that and would require some help in that area

Thanks.

Strawb

Dubai
I just checked and found out that he hasnt pooped since last 2 days. I think its straining the poop. I will take him to the Vet at the earliest. STRAWB I just usually put him indoors in the night to sleep at Room temperature. In the Morning I usually put him outside the Balcony for an hour and then again Indoors making sure that the Air Conditiong is off where ever they are placed. I know they have to be put under UV light during some time of the day but I am not having much information about that and would require some help in that area

Thanks.

He freely walks around in your apartment? No enclosure? No substrate?

Harish chainani

Dubai
I had built an enclosure for both the torts but they were very uncomfortable and kept scratching to find their way out. So I have made two corners for them in the corner which has become their favourite spot now and always sleep their. In the mornings our Help leaves them in the living room with the food and during afternoons put them out in the Balcony under direct Sunlight for half hour. Then the get a bath and settle back in the corners.

I had taken my Male Tort to the Vet due to his condition and it doesnt look good. Apparently the sound it was making was to get Air in to breathe as it is got severe pneumonia and lungs are completely infected. Infact it was gasping for Air severely when I was I my way to Vet and was miserable. Finally the Vet took an Xray, put him on Oxygen and pulled out a big lump of waste from his mouth. He was given multivitamin and antibiotic shots which has to be continued for a Month now. I just hope he recovers soon. The Vet gives it 50 - 50 chance. Depending in how well he is taken care of. Se told me to feed him lot of greens.

I have been feeding them Lettuce but have tried feeding them different foods but nothing else works for them beside Lettuce. Please suggest. Thanks

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Lettuce has very little nutritional value. A lack of nutrition could have contributed to your tortoise getting sick. You need much better greens. You can chop up some nutritious greens and chop up lettuce and mix it together. Experiment with the ratio of good greens to lettuce until they will eat it. Once they are accustomed to the taste increase good greens and decrease lettuce. You can even cover the mixed pile with a little more chopped lettuce to trick them into eating the mix. As far as what greens to feed.... well I have no idea what is available in Dubai. There is a website called tortoisetable.com and you can find ideas there. Also there are lots of lists and discussions on this forum about diet. If you still don't find things to feed let people here know... maybe somebody is more savvy than me about what might be available in your part of the world.
Also consider having a designated enclosure where the tortoises get everything they need (basking areas, cool spots, hides, areas to dig, uv light... all these things contribute to the health of the torts. They have some specific needs that aren't usually met when letting them roam a home. I hope this is helpful and I hope your poor sick tort has a full recovery. Very good of you to seek help for him :)

Strawb

Dubai
I had built an enclosure for both the torts but they were very uncomfortable and kept scratching to find their way out. So I have made two corners for them in the corner which has become their favourite spot now and always sleep their. In the mornings our Help leaves them in the living room with the food and during afternoons put them out in the Balcony under direct Sunlight for half hour. Then the get a bath and settle back in the corners.

I had taken my Male Tort to the Vet due to his condition and it doesnt look good. Apparently the sound it was making was to get Air in to breathe as it is got severe pneumonia and lungs are completely infected. Infact it was gasping for Air severely when I was I my way to Vet and was miserable. Finally the Vet took an Xray, put him on Oxygen and pulled out a big lump of waste from his mouth. He was given multivitamin and antibiotic shots which has to be continued for a Month now. I just hope he recovers soon. The Vet gives it 50 - 50 chance. Depending in how well he is taken care of. Se told me to feed him lot of greens.

I have been feeding them Lettuce but have tried feeding them different foods but nothing else works for them beside Lettuce. Please suggest. Thanks

Sad news. Hopefully he recovers with the antibiotics. Which vet did you take him to?

Strawb

Dubai
Lettuce has very little nutritional value. A lack of nutrition could have contributed to your tortoise getting sick. You need much better greens. You can chop up some nutritious greens and chop up lettuce and mix it together. Experiment with the ratio of good greens to lettuce until they will eat it. Once they are accustomed to the taste increase good greens and decrease lettuce. You can even cover the mixed pile with a little more chopped lettuce to trick them into eating the mix. As far as what greens to feed.... well I have no idea what is available in Dubai. There is a website called tortoisetable.com and you can find ideas there. Also there are lots of lists and discussions on this forum about diet. If you still don't find things to feed let people here know... maybe somebody is more savvy than me about what might be available in your part of the world.
Also consider having a designated enclosure where the tortoises get everything they need (basking areas, cool spots, hides, areas to dig, uv light... all these things contribute to the health of the torts. They have some specific needs that aren't usually met when letting them roam a home. I hope this is helpful and I hope your poor sick tort has a full recovery. Very good of you to seek help for him :)

Very well explained. I too am from dubai and the hardest part in keeping a tortoise in this part of the world is setting up a proper habitat.

There are a lot of good greens available here for tortoises such as hibiscus, cactus pads, grape leaves, sanseveria (snake plant), crassula to name a few. You can also grow your own wheat grass indoors.

Harish chainani

Dubai
Thanks for all the details about the diet. Now i can go around looking for more varities. STRAWB, the Vet at Nad Al Sheba Veterinary clinic is Dr Tatiyana and she is really very good and highly experienced with Reptiles and PETs. Their no is 056 2760434.

Fifi just got his second shot today and fed him different greens today but he isnt eating. I guess it's the meds reacting in him.

Thanks again for all feedbacks and help.

Strawb

Dubai
Thanks for all the details about the diet. Now i can go around looking for more varities. STRAWB, the Vet at Nad Al Sheba Veterinary clinic is Dr Tatiyana and she is really very good and highly experienced with Reptiles and PETs. Their no is 056 2760434.

Fifi just got his second shot today and fed him different greens today but he isnt eating. I guess it's the meds reacting in him.

Thanks again for all feedbacks and help.

Hi. Any update on fifi?

Harish chainani

Dubai
Hi Strawb, he is still looking weak and having breathing problems avenged after giving him the alternative day shots. The Vet has advised me to not have too much hope as his situation looks bad. I guess it's just anytime soon when he might not make it. I am still doing my best. Thanks for checking in. Will keep updating. Regards.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Hi Strawb, he is still looking weak and having breathing problems avenged after giving him the alternative day shots. The Vet has advised me to not have too much hope as his situation looks bad. I guess it's just anytime soon when he might not make it. I am still doing my best. Thanks for checking in. Will keep updating. Regards.

When my mud turtle had pneumonia, she did not respond to antibiotics alone. It was only after they added a nebulizer to her other antibiotics that she recovered. The nebulizer is the same machine used to blow medicated mist into a breathing mask for humans with asthma and other breathing problems. They put the turtle in either a plastic box or a plastic bag with the hose blowing the medicated mist for her to breathe twice a day for 30 minutes at a time. I think she got her nebulizer treatments plus injections of another antibiotic for 2 weeks.
Best wishes and best of luck to your tortoise.[emoji173]️