TORTOISE MEATBALLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
So...I'm sure you all remember when I introduced Tortoise Lasagne more than a year ago. Well, as time goes by, you acquire new knowledge and hone your craft. With that being said...I now introduce you to Tortoise Meatballs!

First you add tortoise chow (I prefer 3/4 Mazuri to 1/4 Marion)
2ykc2oo.jpg

Top the mixture (not the container) off with warm water
inbgwh.jpg

After allowing chow to absorb water, add chopped hay (yeah I said chopped hay)
2wg6jq0.jpg

Stir mixture thoroughly...final consistency should be roughly the same as peanut butter cookie batter...if too wet...add more hay!
vsoqht.jpg

Form into a giant ball and set out for your monsters. As usual, Climber and Eggroll are first! They are always on patrol for food...any edible...it's theirs! Look at Aladar in the backgorund...all he cares about is the unusual winter sun!
1zva1bc.jpg

Soon...all the little ones are on it!
23rjzfs.jpg

And, eventually, His Royal Highness (as my wife calls him) shows up for his share! Notice how the little ones scat before he gets there?!?!
navz9.jpg

I've dispensed with anything store bought...and they can graze on grass at their leisure. I offer cactus every other day.

I realized how important long stem fiber is to them and we all know that young torts will NOT eat hay. Well...they do now!

Good luck and let me know your experiences with this!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I was scared to open this thread, I was expecting something else based on the thread title, but it looks like they enjoyed it.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Great idea! Can't wait to try this one out for our little monster!
(For the record, I too was scared to open this one at first for fear of what I'd see)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I too thought this was some sick joke. After carefully opening this post, I see.
Now thats a meat baaalla:D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
:) Love it, I am going to use that concept for our young ones!

ALDABRAMAN said:
:) Love it, I am going to use that concept for our young ones!

1). What is the RED dry chow?
2). What is type of hay do you use?

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Whenever I attempt something like this, it gets trampled, mixed in substrate/dirt and spoils/molds.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
pdrobber said:
Whenever I attempt something like this, it gets trampled, mixed in substrate/dirt and spoils/molds.

:tort:Note he serves it on a concrete surface.

O' by the way, Outstanding pictures.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
ALDABRAMAN said:
pdrobber said:

Nothing gets by you Greg! The red chow is Marion Zoological Tortoise Diet. I think Coastal sells it on the Forum. I got it from an ex-colleague at SD Zoo. I use alfalfa, bermuda and timothy! I use the Jack LaLanne Power Blender to chop the hay...very efficient! The lawn is fescues and ryes...and I will be adding a cold-tolerant Bermuda this Spring! I'll keep you all posted on that! And yes! I ALWAYS feed on concrete, it helps keep the beak trim should they polish off the pile;)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
DeanS said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
pdrobber said:

Nothing gets by you Greg! The red chow is Marion Zoological Tortoise Diet. I think Coastal sells it on the Forum. I got it from an ex-colleague at SD Zoo. I use alfalfa, bermuda and timothy! The lawn is fescues and ryes...and I will be adding a cold-tolerant Bermuda this Spring! I'll keep you all posted on that! And yes! I ALWAYS feed on concrete, it helps keep the beak trim should they polish off the pile;)

Thank you, I will get some and try.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Very fun...that looks like a big ole meatball when the youngins are chowing down and then when the big n gets there he totally dwarfs what use to look like a huge meatball....lol...as with everything else....it is all relative :p

Very cool pics also...

lucas339

5 Year Member
great idea!! i am going to have to give this a shot! my guys hate mazuri so maybe ill mix something good in there to get them into it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Love it!... even if the end mix does resemble some kind of elephant dung ;)

I'm just considering a Mediterranean version using Komodo and dried dandelion :)

Status
Not open for further replies.