Tortoise Microchipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

ch12ag

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, UK
Hi guys, Snoopy is now 4.5 inches (over 100mm) I am in the uk and have my CITES paperwork. How do I go about getting him microchipped?? I am lost as this is my first time, any info will be greatly appreciated

BTW do I need to microchip if im not going to sell them, im in the UK if it makes a difference...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Any Vet should be able to offer that.. but call them first, as doing a tortoise is different then a dog or cat..

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Unless your going to sell or breed from Henry you don't need to get him microchipped. When getting microchipped you would also be going for your permanent certificate from DEFRA. The permanent certificate will cost 25 pounds. You can get the application from DEFRA's website.

Danny

ch12ag

5 Year Member
Kent, UK
Ahh fantastic thanks guys both really helpful comments. I think I'll leave it a while then Im not going to sell (or breed for the foreseeable future)

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Personally, I have my vet do it for me on mine. The DNR sends me everything to do it myself, but I just don't feel comfortable with it.

bluejen1313

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I recently had a tortoise go missing. He was found about a week and a half later. Do they do microchipping in the US too? I don't plan on my guys getting out ever again. Their habitat is now like Tortoise Alcatraz, or maybe Tortoise Disneyland, with an impenetrable fence around it.

Jerseynox

5 Year Member
se michigan
regaurding micro chipping can some1 tell me what do you mean by microchip is this like lojack so you can find lost pet? or is this what you have for dogs/cats so the vet can scan them to see who owns them,vet records & whatnot

i wouldnt mind having turtlejack lol

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
jerseynox said:
regaurding micro chipping can some1 tell me what do you mean by microchip is this like lojack so you can find lost pet? or is this what you have for dogs/cats so the vet can scan them to see who owns them,vet records & whatnot

i wouldnt mind having turtlejack lol

Makes it possible to prove ownership, primarily.

Doubt it emits a beam to a GPS (pity)...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its a chip that has to be read by a scanning device. Trouble is, here in the States, its not a common practice and people usually don't scan for it on found tortoises.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
When my family and I got "chipped" in the new government program,it was minimally invasive and relatively pain free.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
emysemys said:
Its a chip that has to be read by a scanning device. Trouble is, here in the States, its not a common practice and people usually don't scan for it on found tortoises.

That's what I was thinking. I don't think it's widespread enough for people to know that they should have their "found" tortoise scanned for a microchip. I don't even think most people around here would think of getting a lost dog scanned, let alone a tort.

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob is micro-chipped because he escapes so often. My Vet tried hard to get it in his tough back leg then just gave up and did it in his neck. He is so strong he could pull his leg out of our hands, my 46 yr old son and I were both holding his leg...ha! That's one very strong tortoise. So it's in his neck. I hope that if he ever does finally escape and takes off that whoever finds him would turn him in to the humane society or DF&G. But I bet they keep him for a few days until he breaks something, or rearranges the stuff in their yard, or smashes all the flowers that he doesn't eat or breaks thru the drywall...All stuff he has done in the past. Then they will let him go, I'm sure...:p
Big Bob the Destroyer...

Status
Not open for further replies.