Tortoise might be sick or trying to hibernate

Rusky

Location (City and/or State)
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Two incandescent bulbs of the wrong color temp is not bright enough. What type of UV bulb are you using?

If you need UV, I'd get a 10.0 HO tube and reflector hood fixture from ZooMed or Arcadia. I get my Arcadia stuff here: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com

You can use a regular T-8 10.0 ZooMed bulb for some nice light, but they don't give off much UV and must be mounted within 10-12" from the tortoise for a little UV. They make nice light when mounted higher up, you just don't get any UV.

Would this be okay if I mount it low? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009YJ3BE/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Also, by color temp do you mean the color isn't warm/orange enough?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Would this be okay if I mount it low? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009YJ3BE/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Also, by color temp do you mean the color isn't warm/orange enough?

Yes. That bulb will work. Get one that is almost as long as you enclosure. You want to light up the while thing. If you mount it higher than 12" you will get plenty of light of the correct color temp, but your tortoise will not be getting any UV benefit from it. Those bulbs make nice, natural looking light.

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
Yes. That bulb will work. Get one that is almost as long as you enclosure. You want to light up the while thing. If you mount it higher than 12" you will get plenty of light of the correct color temp, but your tortoise will not be getting any UV benefit from it. Those bulbs make nice, natural looking light.

OK, thanks! I'm new to tortoises, but he makes a great pet because I'm allergic to animal hair. I'm hoping to learn more about him and I'm trying to give him the best life I can.

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
@Tom @wellington
Today I took him to the vet for a checkup. She gave him fluids and a vitamin A shot and antibiotics. I didn't think this was the right treatment, because I'm sure that he's just trying to hibernate. I also read a thread on this forum about how vets have previously misdiagnosed russians and given them antibiotics etc. even though they don't know what the problem is. I told my mum about this but she insisted on trusting the vet and said that there could be anyone saying things online. The new UV bulb is on the way and he ate one leaf of arugula this morning.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom @wellington
Today I took him to the vet for a checkup. She gave him fluids and a vitamin A shot and antibiotics. I didn't think this was the right treatment, because I'm sure that he's just trying to hibernate. I also read a thread on this forum about how vets have previously misdiagnosed russians and given them antibiotics etc. even though they don't know what the problem is. I told my mum about this but she insisted on trusting the vet and said that there could be anyone saying things online. The new UV bulb is on the way and he ate one leaf of arugula this morning.

I hope it all goes well, but I agree with you. Not the right treatment.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hope for the best. Keep up what has been suggested and hopefully it will all work out.
Might want to tell your mom the vet made money off of their advice and treatment. We do it for free, with absolutely nothing to gain except helping another tortoise enthusiast help their tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Now you have something to watch out for. When some vets give the vitamin A shot, they make a mistake on the weight of the animal and give too much. When this happens, the skin sloughs off. If you start to see raw patches where there is no skin, take the animal back to the vet immediately and let him know it's because of too much vitamin A.

I appreciate that you took the tortoise to the vet. And let's hope the vet you saw is good with tortoises.