Tortoise moving a lot after changes in enclosure

baileypete

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
It seems like everytime I add substrate and move around my leopard tortoises enclosure (his hides, food and water dishes, decorations) he goes around the enclosure for a couple hours and is very active. To me it seems like he's just exploring, but I also wonder if maybe he's stressed out?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Its prob a lil of both. No need to move things around or change substrate to often as long as ur spot cleaning.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree on the substrate but changing the enclosure around gives the tortoise a reason to explore anc move around. Once they get used to things, they usually go back to being kinda lazy again.
I used to change my hatchlings environment about once every couple months. I actually think its good for them. They need the exercise to build their muscle. Usually once they are able to go in an outside enclosure for the day, they do a lot of exploring.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I agree on the substrate but changing the enclosure around gives the tortoise a reason to explore anc move around. Once they get used to things, they usually go back to being kinda lazy again.
I used to change my hatchlings environment about once every couple months. I actually think its good for them. They need the exercise to build their muscle. Usually once they are able to go in an outside enclosure for the day, they do a lot of exploring.
Damn chicagoians ?

baileypete

Minnesota
My leopard is almost a year and a half old, and I do put him outside during the day when it's nice. But I've noticed that if I keep his outdoor enclosure in the same spot, he gets bored and stops eating the grass and the weeds, so I move the enclosure and all of the sudden he starts eating again.