Tortoise not coming out at all!

Love_Alexa1

Hi, my Horsefield tortoise, Soysauce, is not coming out at all. Not even for food or water. He is just spending all of his time in his house digging (I here him digging). When I take him out he will wonder around for
maybe 15 mins but then just goes back into his house. When I feed him he only tends to eat half of it and will only eat if I place him right in front of the food bowl.
I feel like such a bad owner because due to my stupid emetophobia (anxiety), which makes me fear salmonella, I struggle to care for him properly. He gets fresh food and water every 2/3 days or so depending on how anxious I am and I havn't soaked him in 3 weeks. :(
I'm almost thinking about giving him away because I don't know if I can give him the life he deserves. What should I do I feel like such a bad owner and he doesn't deserve this. What if he is in pain or what if I'm the one who's caused it? His eyes, mouth, nose and shell all look fine. I hav't seen his poop because the dirt substrate makes it hard to see and he tends to kick soil over it. I also havn't seen urates for a while. I'm so scared that he is in pain. Help pease! :(

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi - sorry about your problems do you have someone to help you? If it would make you less anxious could you wear plastic/rubber gloves and an apron when you handle/feed him? The risks are pretty low if basic hygiene is followed, but I know that isn't going to help you at all if you suffer with anxiety, it must be awful for you and I do sympathise.
I know it is difficult for you but your tort should have fresh food and water everyday and needs a long luke warm soak as soon as possible if he isn't eating or drinking much. He may be OK at the moment but he needs to be kept hydrated or he could end up with kidney problems, like stones. which will be very painful for him and expensive for you. My tort tends to produce urates in his soak.
If you really don't think you can overcome your anxiety to look after him properly and it's causing you such a lot of stress it probably would be better for both of you if you did find a good home for him.
Where are you located? Maybe there are long term members near you who can help.

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I remember your mum used to help.
You're going to have to ask her to help again as he does need his soaks and poop removed.
He probably isn't in any pain.
And if he's very young, hiding a lot is quite normal.
If your set up is right , he'll become more outgoing as he gets older.

Love_Alexa1

Thank you everyone for the support. Both my parents are helping me out with his care - they are going to bath him for me as that is the main thing i'm afraid of doing. They are also going to clean his bowls while I prepare his food. I will start feeding him and changing his water everyday to see if that helps. He is nearly 4 years old. He is kept in a large tortoise table with a substrate of plain top soil (no fertilisers or pesticides) and his baking spot is kept at a temperature of 85-90 degrees - his cool end is kept at around 70 degrees. Is this too hot or cold? I've heard mixed views. He gets around 12-13 hours of light a day (uvb/uva long bulb that covers his entire enclosure). I'm hoping to let him wander outside when the temperature rises. I'm based in London so it's still a little too cold for him. I really don't want to give my little buddy away. Even just thinking about it makes my heart break. :( Also how many times should I bath him a week to get him rehydrated. Should I bath him in a bucket/bowl or the bathtub - again mixed views. Thank you everyone, i'm trying really hard to get over my anxiety but am ready to accept a little more help from my parents until it calms down. :) Thank you again! <3

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Soysauce! I love that name. Maybe your therapist can help develop a strategy for tortoise maintenence.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you everyone for the support. Both my parents are helping me out with his care - they are going to bath him for me as that is the main thing i'm afraid of doing. They are also going to clean his bowls while I prepare his food. I will start feeding him and changing his water everyday to see if that helps. He is nearly 4 years old. He is kept in a large tortoise table with a substrate of plain top soil (no fertilisers or pesticides) and his baking spot is kept at a temperature of 85-90 degrees - his cool end is kept at around 70 degrees. Is this too hot or cold? I've heard mixed views. He gets around 12-13 hours of light a day (uvb/uva long bulb that covers his entire enclosure). I'm hoping to let him wander outside when the temperature rises. I'm based in London so it's still a little too cold for him. I really don't want to give my little buddy away. Even just thinking about it makes my heart break. :( Also how many times should I bath him a week to get him rehydrated. Should I bath him in a bucket/bowl or the bathtub - again mixed views. Thank you everyone, i'm trying really hard to get over my anxiety but am ready to accept a little more help from my parents until it calms down. :) Thank you again! <3
I'm glad you have help. You need a container with sides high enough for him not to be able to climb out and enough space for him to turn around in. I use a cat litter tray for my tort that is only used for his bath. I soak for about 20 mins every day on average for my tort, sometimes longer if he is relaxed. The water should be warm - not hot - slightly warmer than your body temp and you shouldn't let it get cold, I bail some out then add warmer water to keep it consistently warm. The water shouldn't be too deep - slightly deeper than the bottom of his shell. Supervise him to make sure he doesn't flip over onto his back and drown.
He may just stretch out and relax or he may be more active. Many torts wee, pass urates and even poop in their bath water so don't be surprised if that happens. Many keepers have a second bath set up ready so that if that happens they can put the tort in clean water straight away. Doesn't sound pleasant but at least that way it's out of his enclosure, easier to dispose of and you can check it for parasites etc.
When it is warm enough for him to go outside try to contain him in as large and secure an enclosure as you can (see the Enclosures thread for ideas). You mentioned that he likes digging and many torts have been lost from gardens tunneling under fences. If he is small enough for something like a gull to pick up make sure he has some sort of chicken wire cover on top to stop that happening too.
Check the caresheet for your temps and other information important for his care.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I would aim for my basking spot at one end of the chamber being a little higher, 95-100 degrees..
I would bathe him two to three times a week in water quite hot, if you can leave your hand in it, then it' okay. Use an opaque container with high enough sides he can't see out.
If you love him like you clearly do, there are solutions to every problem. :)

Love_Alexa1

Thank you again everyone. We gave him some fresh food and water today and placed him in front of it. He went into his water bowl for a little while and then went straight for his food. I gave him a small amount of romain lettuce as I know it's quite high in water compared to other weeds and leafy greens. Only enough to help and not cause diarrhoea. Also gave him a very small slice of cucumber. He ate most of his food, then went for a little bask before going back to sleep (lazy boy :p) and is now digging in his house. :)

Agathaade

Los Angeles
I would avoid bathing him directly in your bathtub or sink if you are concerned about contamination. A dedicated plastic tub is easier to handle, clean, and put away.

Glad your parents are helping, and I’m sorry you are dealing with anxiety.
Re-homing is an option to consider if you can’t manage to offer food and water daily.
It’s not your fault that you are struggling.