Tortoise not eating, darker colored skin

Cosmoandwinnie

Location (City and/or State)
United States
BC66C4C2-616C-475F-9E79-30F552092C67.jpeg 7218946B-9674-4A4C-8285-02BFE1CC62BC.jpeg I have a smaller female Herman’s tortoise, who normally gobbles up everything in her food dish.
This past month someone else has been taking care of her since I’ve been sick with pneumonia. I’ve had no contact with her to make her sick, and it’s been an overnight change.
She didn’t eat any dinner and she won’t eat anything today. She’s taken a single bite of a dandelion green and refused my attempts to tempt her with melon and tomatoes. She’s been sleeping all day and her skin is darker than normal. I’ve added two images of her before and after.
If she continues this over the weekend I will call the vet, but since I’m rather inexperienced with tortoises I’d thought I should ask if this is normal for a tortoise going into colder seasons.

Cosmoandwinnie

United States
I’m giving her 15 minute lukewarm baths but she’s still not eating. I’ve seen her try, but it’s like she can’t bite hard enough.
Her eyes appear sunken so I know she’s dehydrated. I’ve added two new small plants to her enclosure so she has something new, and both are plants that she can eat.
I’ll be calling the vet and getting her in ASAP but please, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cosmoandwinnie

United States
This is what I’m trying to tempt her with this morning. Some romaine lettuce, a carrot, some melon, blueberries, and aloe Vera.
She doesn’t normally have this much sugar in a meal, but I’m hoping treats tempt her into having some food.A8EE84BC-0F97-4D20-9ECF-40EFFFAA2B23.jpeg

Cosmoandwinnie

United States
She took a bite of lettuce but she isn’t eating it, just holding it in her mouth.
she’s seeing a vet Tuesday, October 1st but I have to keep her safe until then. Any advice would be a huge help.

Last edited:

Cosmoandwinnie

United States
22A9FFFA-66FE-4E43-92C6-215085E68541.jpeg She’s making a clicking sound.
I’ve moved her into an older tank for now so I can keep her temperature more regulated. She has clean water and a hide and she’s outside so she’ll be in 85-95 degree weather today.
Any advice for taking care of a tort with a possible RI would be GREATLY appreciated

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry to hear this. It's good to move her to a tank where you can keep the temperature more regulated, but if it's outside, make sure the sun doesn't get too hot and cook the tortoise. For the R.I. the tortoise will need antibiotics, but in the meantime, keep it at about 80-85F degrees day and night.

Cosmoandwinnie

United States
I'm sorry to hear this. It's good to move her to a tank where you can keep the temperature more regulated, but if it's outside, make sure the sun doesn't get too hot and cook the tortoise. For the R.I. the tortoise will need antibiotics, but in the meantime, keep it at about 80-85F degrees day and night.
The porch is screened in and she’s in an area that will get heat but not much direct sunlight. And I’ve got a way to bring the temp down if it goes too high.
And she’s eating now! I gave her another small slice of honeydew and she’s munching. I’ll try to get her something better for her later but for now I’m just happy she’s eating.

Cosmoandwinnie

United States
She ate a tiny bit today and has attempted to eat a few more times but hasn’t managed much. She’s currently out in some grass getting some exercise and she’s got normal energy levels but she isn’t stopping to eat dandelion and I’m not pulling oak leaves out of her mouth like I normally have to.
She’s also been trying to nap most of the day which is unusual for her, especially since she’s doing it on her basking rock and not in her cool hide like she normally prefers to sleep.

Cosmoandwinnie

United States
Last update of the day.
I went to turn off her basking light but I saw her just in time to catch a large bubble form and pop over her nose, making her entire beak wet.
Definitely an RI. I’m getting her to the vet Tuesday but I’m calling first thing Monday to see if I can bump up the appt. I don’t know what to do for her in the mean time.

JLMDVM

Ohio
Wish I knew more so I could help. Definitely call the vet and let them know how serious things are- if they’re worth anything they’ll get you in sooner (OK, well I would if a client called- I’d also overbook myself to death to see a sick pet for someone).

Cosmoandwinnie

United States
A559AE65-C18C-4AE2-B42A-DA4C1A7F9E88.jpeg She’s much better today. She’s had another bath, and she’s actually managed to eat some more. It’s nowhere near what she normally eats but she’s managed a lettuce leaf and a half, and she fell asleep over a bit of melon.
Just one more day before her appointment , and I will be calling first thing to see if I can move it up.

Cosmoandwinnie

United States
She passed away this morning before I could get to the vet.

if anyone can tell me how to delete this account I would appreciate it.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This is so sad. I am very sorry and thank you for caring for her! She was probably too far gone in the illness for anything to help.

LaRue13

Chesapeake Va
I’m so sorry more people didn’t join this conversation. And I’m so sorry you lost your baby. One more day and The vet could’ve helped. I’m really really sorry for you and your loss

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She passed away this morning before I could get to the vet.

if anyone can tell me how to delete this account I would appreciate it.
Oh for cryin' out loud! What a shock it was to read this post. I'm so very, very sorry this happened. The only way to truly know why the tortoise died would be to have a necropsy done. As tortoises can go a very long time, sometimes months, without eating, not eating was not her problem. She might have had bladder or kidney stones. This is common, and they stop eating because of the pain. Aw darn it. I'm so sorry.

(Don't delete your account. We welcome your continued participation, and some day you may get another tortoise)