Tortoise not eating or movinge

Bluegecko

Location (City and/or State)
Oman
My green tortoise is not eating or moving
For two months she didn’t eat much but 2 weeks ago she wasn’t moving or eating at all
The weather was a big cooler the past 2 months so I thought it was because of that
But then the Weather got back to normal which is (very warm where I live)
Anyway I soaked her daily for the past 2 weeks so she at least drinks water
Then I took her to the vet today
I finally found a pet that would treat exotic animals although it’s still not specialized in them it’s mostly for cattle and horses..etc

So the vet gave her two injections in each leg
But he said that it’s too late and doesn’t know if she’s gonna make it
I asked him about if she’s gonna eat again
And he said he doesn’t know he will wait until she recovers :(
She have 2 more injections tomorrow
He never said what those injections are
But he said that she has a bacterial infection he said that she might have eaten something
She looked normal a few weeks ago :(
I’m so worried I hope she gets fine soon

zovick

10 Year Member!
My green tortoise is not eating or moving
For two months she didn’t eat much but 2 weeks ago she wasn’t moving or eating at all
The weather was a big cooler the past 2 months so I thought it was because of that
But then the Weather got back to normal which is (very warm where I live)
Anyway I soaked her daily for the past 2 weeks so she at least drinks water
Then I took her to the vet today
I finally found a pet that would treat exotic animals although it’s still not specialized in them it’s mostly for cattle and horses..etc

So the vet gave her two injections in each leg
But he said that it’s too late and doesn’t know if she’s gonna make it
I asked him about if she’s gonna eat again
And he said he doesn’t know he will wait until she recovers :(
She have 2 more injections tomorrow
He never said what those injections are
But he said that she has a bacterial infection he said that she might have eaten something
She looked normal a few weeks ago :(
I’m so worried I hope she gets fine soon
You should find out what the injections were before you allow any more. Were they all the same medication or were as many as 4 different medications given? If any of the injections were Vitamin A injections, I would not allow any more of them. Also if any were antibiotics, those really should only be used when there are obvious signs of an infection, such as difficulty breathing, or an open wound someplace which you did not describe.

Simply "eating something" is not descriptive of an infection, and does not warrant giving an animal antibiotics.

The vet does not sound experienced enough with tortoises to be treating your animal.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We also need a lot more info. There are no green tortoises. Is it actually a turtle? Show pictures of the tortoise/turtle and pics of the enclosure. We also need to know what the temps are all over, basking and night. What is the substrate and diet consist of?
We can't really help with the little info you gave.

Bluegecko

Oman
Sorry I meant greek* tortoise
she suddenly started sleeping all day not moving and barely eating when I feed her by hand very recently she stopped eating
Even when I hand feed her she takes a bite opens her mouth as if something is stuck then either pops it back inside her shell or just closes her eyes and sleeps
She also wiggles her shell, she lifts her upper part up then wiggles around after I soak her because that’s the only time she ever opens her eyes but then she goes back to sleep, she’s very lethargic
And barely poops too
I have been soaking her in warm water daily and also keep the temp higher
Although where i live it’s 25C or 77F at least and it gets warmer during the day
But recently the weather got a bit cooler and these past days has been windy
But she’s indoors
Where I live there’s no reptile vets
Most of the vets here don't care unless the animal's livestock or quarterhorse...they treat dogs/cats as an exception to their standard practice; any other pets are beyond them
but I had no choice but to take her there because she looks very sick and lethargic
I also just noticed she has a tiny white dot on her shell near her belly area when I looked it up it says rot shell? I’m not sure
She doesn’t eat at all now and doesn’t drink water although I just soak
She sleeps all day
The vet said the injections are for the infection but didn’t specify which infection

She isn’t in her enclosure for now I keep her in a warmer place under a sunny window and I get her out on the balcony to get some more sun
Her diet is mostly romaine lettuce since that’s her favorite and she won’t eat anything else but I occasionally sneak some other greens

Attachments

• A6BB41EE-C4DF-4FD3-8CCA-27B7E6C9B23A.jpeg
    A6BB41EE-C4DF-4FD3-8CCA-27B7E6C9B23A.jpeg
    955.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 0B2768C3-3BCD-460D-91AB-EAAE4DF38779.jpeg
    0B2768C3-3BCD-460D-91AB-EAAE4DF38779.jpeg
    803.1 KB · Views: 23

zovick

10 Year Member!
Sorry I meant greek* tortoise
she suddenly started sleeping all day not moving and barely eating when I feed her by hand very recently she stopped eating
Even when I hand feed her she takes a bite opens her mouth as if something is stuck then either pops it back inside her shell or just closes her eyes and sleeps
She also wiggles her shell, she lifts her upper part up then wiggles around after I soak her because that’s the only time she ever opens her eyes but then she goes back to sleep, she’s very lethargic
And barely poops too
I have been soaking her in warm water daily and also keep the temp higher
Although where i live it’s 25C or 77F at least and it gets warmer during the day
But recently the weather got a bit cooler and these past days has been windy
But she’s indoors
Where I live there’s no reptile vets
Most of the vets here don't care unless the animal's livestock or quarterhorse...they treat dogs/cats as an exception to their standard practice; any other pets are beyond them
but I had no choice but to take her there because she looks very sick and lethargic
I also just noticed she has a tiny white dot on her shell near her belly area when I looked it up it says rot shell? I’m not sure
She doesn’t eat at all now and doesn’t drink water although I just soak
She sleeps all day
The vet said the injections are for the infection but didn’t specify which infection

She isn’t in her enclosure for now I keep her in a warmer place under a sunny window and I get her out on the balcony to get some more sun
Her diet is mostly romaine lettuce since that’s her favorite and she won’t eat anything else but I occasionally sneak some other greens
Your tortoise doesn't look good. It needs to be kept at about 85F both day and night in the condition it is in now. You should soak it daily in lukewarm water for 15-20 minutes, then try to feed it right after the soaking.

It won't poop if it isn't eating.

I would forget about the vet. I don't think he is able to help your tortoise from what you have said.

Please post a photo of the bottom of the tortoise so we can see the white spot.

Bluegecko

Oman
@zovick The little white dot on the right bottom

Attachments

• 351AD9A8-F799-47CC-A535-34F3483F9180.jpeg
    351AD9A8-F799-47CC-A535-34F3483F9180.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30

Bluegecko

Oman
If this is a sign of rot shell what should I do to get rid of it? Should use an antiseptic solution such as betadine on it? Or try to scrub it it?

zovick

10 Year Member!
If this is a sign of rot shell what should I do to get rid of it? Should use an antiseptic solution such as betadine on it? Or try to scrub it it?
The small white spot could be shell rot. You can apply inexpensive athlete's foot cream to it daily for a few days or so to get rid of it, but it may be an exercise in futility at this point. See below.

The tortoise's bottom shell has a pinkish color to it. This is a sign of a tortoise which is becoming "septic". This means that it has some type of systemic infection and its body organs are beginning to fail. Most tortoises whose shells look like this do not live very long.

Maybe the vet noticed this? Maybe that is why he gave the tortoise the injections. If the injections were antibiotics, then perhaps it would be good to continue the injections every other day for a week or two to see if it can help the tortoise.

You should ask the vet what the injections were, and if they were antibiotics, then continue getting more injections every couple of days to fight the infection as I said above. I would not get vitamin injections, though,

Bluegecko

Oman
Yes the injections were antibiotics but I went to another vet and he gave her a syringe and a powder to give her
And oral antibiotics
He said the injections aren’t necessary and she can just take the medicine instead

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yes the injections were antibiotics but I went to another vet and he gave her a syringe and a powder to give her
And oral antibiotics
He said the injections aren’t necessary and she can just take the medicine instead
Giving medications orally to a tortoise is very difficult and very inexact. IE, it is extremely hard to be sure they are getting the correct dose. Injections are much more accurate.

That being said, is the tortoise eating food with the oral antibiotic powder on it or are you giving it a liquid with a syringe? If using a liquid in a syringe, you must be very careful that the tortoise doesn't accidentally inhale the liquid and get pneumonia (or even drown if it gets a large amount of liquid into its lungs).

What antibiotics were given? Names of both the oral and the injectable ones if you know would be helpful.

Bluegecko

Oman
Giving medications orally to a tortoise is very difficult and very inexact. IE, it is extremely hard to be sure they are getting the correct dose. Injections are much more accurate.

That being said, is the tortoise eating food with the oral antibiotic powder on it or are you giving it a liquid with a syringe? If using a liquid in a syringe, you must be very careful that the tortoise doesn't accidentally inhale the liquid and get pneumonia (or even drown if it gets a large amount of liquid into its lungs).

What antibiotics were given? Names of both the oral and the injectable ones if you know would be helpful.
No she doesn’t eat at all so I give her the powder mixed with liquid and give it to her through syringe
And the same for the antibiotics, the oral antibiotic’s name is pet-clavamox plus I gave a dose to her today he told me to give her twice daily
I don’t know the injection’s name tho
The vet is about far from where I live so it would be hard to get her injections there daily and he also wouldn’t have given her more than two more injections
The other vet said the oral antibiotic will work just fine
But I don’t know should I switch back to injections?
And should I stop giving her nutrition liquid in a syringe? What are the signs that she inhaled the liquid?

zovick

10 Year Member!
No she doesn’t eat at all so I give her the powder mixed with liquid and give it to her through syringe
And the same for the antibiotics, the oral antibiotic’s name is pet-clavamox plus I gave a dose to her today he told me to give her twice daily
The vet is about far from where I live so it would be hard to get her injections there daily and he also wouldn’t have given her more than two more injections
And should I stop giving her nutrition liquid in a syringe? What are the signs that she inhaled the liquid?
It sounds as though you are just as well off with the liquid then.

If the tortoise inhales the liquid, it will begin to choke and cough trying to get the liquid out of its windpipe. It may stick its head all the way forward and move it from side to side trying to breathe.

Just be careful to squirt it in very slowly so the tortoise has time to swallow as well as to breathe in between the swallows.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Another note to remember: if the medication works, the tortoise will become stronger and as that happens, it usually becomes more and more difficult to administer the medications orally with a syringe since the tortoise gradually gets the strength to resist having its head pulled out and its mouth opened to put the medication into it.

Bluegecko

Oman
Another note to remember: if the medication works, the tortoise will become stronger and as that happens, it usually becomes more and more difficult to administer the medications orally with a syringe since the tortoise gradually gets the strength to resist having its head pulled out and its mouth opened to put the medication into it.
So I went to another vet just to make sure
The vet looks very good with cats and dogs unlike the others but probably not with exotic pets
So he checked her and said that she has a problem in her liver and he gave her a shot He said it isn’t medication it’s just to boost her liver’s function or health I think it’s some vitamin
He said she also looks anemic and doesn’t have an infection? I’m now confused
He said antibiotics are not necessary and I should stop giving them to her
And he also gave me a fluid called serum lacto salin he said to give her through syringe
I’m really confused now the other vets said she has an infection and this one says she has a liver problem or disease and doesn’t need antibiotics

Virgina
I'd she's septic that would involve her organs shutting down . ... what Temps do you have her in now? Could you share a photo of her enclosure/setup. Wishing your little tortoise well and a speedy recovery

Bluegecko

Oman
Is this a bad sign her shell from bottom was bleeding a bit and I put some bandages on it
Does that mean the medication isn’t working? I didn’t give her antibiotic today according to the vet that said she doesn’t need them
What do I do? I’m very concerned :(

Last edited:
Virgina
If I was in your position I'd listen to the advice these folks have advised with increasing temp and continuing the antibiotics.

What does your enclosure look like ?
What are the current Temps??

Bluegecko

Oman
Current temperature is 27c or 81f
She’s currently out of her enclosure since her enclosure has coconut chips and it be rough on her soft shell