Tortoise not getting up during the day or eating

B3thL

Location (City and/or State)
Gateshead
Hi, something similar may have been asked before, but I'll ask anyway.
My young horsfield tortoise (just under a year or so) has always been an active climber, eater and digger; but the last few days, he has not been getting up at all during the day, and consequently not eating. I left it for the first day as maybe it was a one off, but now for the past 4-5 days he won't get up unless I wake him up myself. I've checked him over and I think he looks okay. His nose and eyes seem clear and his shell is firm. He may be a bit dehydrated, so I'm being strict about giving him daily baths (it was every few days before). He eats a little (a few bites) once I wake him up and give him a warm soak, but still not like his usual greedy self. At the same time as this started, I moved his enclosure into a different room. The temperature is no different, but it may be a little darker. He has a basking light (Mercury vapour), so it's not like his enclosure itself is any darker. I also think he is a little weaker, as when he walks, he is almost touching the floor. Could it be he just needs a more humid environment, the lighting, change of room, time of year (start of August, UK) or what? It's like all he wants to do is sleep. Should I keep digging him up for soaks each day or leave him be?
Any advice is appreciated.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
That means maybe the quality of light is weak...and his temps my be off. He stopped eating due to you changing things...so take one thing at a time and make sure his temps are 85 or better. I dig them up daily and feed or offer food. Check that basking temp...

B3thL

Gateshead
That means maybe the quality of light is weak...and his temps my be off. He stopped eating due to you changing things...so take one thing at a time and make sure his temps are 85 or better. I dig them up daily and feed or offer food. Check that basking temp...
Thanks for the reply. I will keep waking him up and encouraging him to eat something after I soak him. He will only be in this different room for a week whilst I am away so that it's easier for the person looking after him. Then I will move him back to the brighter room. I'll check the temp in the enclosure too. I might also book him in for a general health check at the vet when I get back just to be sure. Thanks!

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i agree with Maggie , light and temp ..... i'd lean towards light if you can notice the difference .... these guys life revolves around the sun , you cannot reproduce the sun indoors , imo , anecdotally , the closer you get the better ....... the turtles i bring in the house in the winter , my electric bill doubles , i'm far from a light expert , but i do know BRIGHT , if i could make it bright enough to need sunglasses , personally i'd do it.......my thought is folks who have a problem with turtles wanting to hibernate in the winter indoors have more of a light problem than temp problem , not that temp cannot be a problem .......... i have an aproximate 12x15x7 unheated room in my basement to over winter some R.P. manni , it is lit by 20 t-8 fluorescent bulbs and one 250 watt infrared bulb , the plants and turtles have thrived in there , long term ..........

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
i agree with Maggie , light and temp ..... i'd lean towards light if you can notice the difference .... these guys life revolves around the sun , you cannot reproduce the sun indoors , imo , anecdotally , the closer you get the better ....... the turtles i bring in the house in the winter , my electric bill doubles , i'm far from a light expert , but i do know BRIGHT , if i could make it bright enough to need sunglasses , personally i'd do it.......my thought is folks who have a problem with turtles wanting to hibernate in the winter indoors have more of a light problem than temp problem , not that temp cannot be a problem .......... i have an aproximate 12x15x7 unheated room in my basement to over winter some R.P. manni , it is lit by 20 t-8 fluorescent bulbs and one 250 watt infrared bulb , the plants and turtles have thrived in there , long term ..........
But...I need pictures!

B3thL

Gateshead
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have one Mercury vapour bulb for both heat, uv and light, but I am in the process of building a big enclosure and think it might be best to use separate bulbs for uv and heat so I can adjust them separately. When I took him outside during a short sunny spell, he perked up a bit, so I think it is the light. Thanks for the help!

B3thL

Gateshead
20210817_121809.jpghere is a picture of him if that is of any help too. I am in the process of building him a bigger enclosure that will be more brightly lit and a more reliable ambient temperature. I have a backup heat bulb that I turn on when I am around during the day and after a while under that, he perks up a bit and will eat with encouragement (plantain and lambs lettuce today) so I definitely agree that it may be a change in the temperature. Once I have the new enclosure done and he has settled in, I'll give an update. Still happy to hear any advice/opinions for the time being though :)