tortoise on the menu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Temple City, Ca
Not the first time I've heard of it but it is the first time I've seen it. I don't think the others kept food in there with them though. "Honey the BBQ sauce is behind the tortoise" :)

Thanks for posting it. I laughed too.

Dawna

tortelini

5 Year Member
Newberg, OR
That is so very cute! I could totally see my grandma doing that very same thing. Made me giggle...thanks for sharing!! :)

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
I know their hybernating, but...goodness...Is that healthy? what happens if they dont hybernate?

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Dutton, I agree. Doesn't it look like some are trying to climb out? What if you open the door and they fall out? Although it sounds like she certainly has a clue.

Some look like Russians, what are the rest? Anyone? Danny?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it was a photo op. In reality, when they are ready to hibernate the lady wraps them in tea towells. And none of the animals in the photo were wrapped. I hibernate some of my tortoises in chest-type freezers (unplugged). The tortoises are in boxes and the freezers are stuffed with shredded newspaper. Quite a few folks hibernate in refrigerators, but you can't go by that picture.

Yvonne

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Tell me how do they breathe in there? How cold does it get? Are they like bears? Do they know that their hibernating? Dale doesn't hibernate so I know nothing about this. Very interesting to see though. :( Candy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Everything slows way down, including respiration. You are supposed to open the door every so often to allow an exchange of air. In my case, with the chest-type freezers, I place a pencil across one corner to keep the lid from shutting tightly.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.