Tortoise or turtle found in Corona, CA

Boony

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I just found this tortoise or a turtle at the corner of Fullerton and Haley Talbert on my way down to Chase. I was taking a walk, and this tortoise/turtle was sitting on the walkway under the sun with no shade looking at Fullerton Rd. He (or she) looked like as if he was about to cross the busy street. I tried to check with the house that was at the corner, but because the outside gate was locked, I couldn't reach the the doorbell. I hope I could reach the owner.

In the meantime, can anyone identify this turtle/tortoise? I do have my own box turtles, so I know how to take care of box turtles. Because he/she wouldn't show me his feet, so I cannot even tell if this one is an aqua turtle. Any information would be appreciated.

If you are the owner of this turtle/tortoise, please e-mail me a photo of this turtle with you or at your home by 6 AM tomorrow (8/10) so I know you are the owner. My e-mail is [email protected]. You can leave a reply here, too.

If I don't hear from anyone by then, I will leave him at the Corona animal center tomorrow morning.

View attachment ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439161446.907985.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439161505.744934.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Yes RES not a native species

Boony

5 Year Member
Southern California
This is the address of Corona Animal Shelter where I will leave this turtle at tomorrow.

608 Harrington St, Corona, CA 92880

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's a water turtle - trachemys scripta elegans

Boony

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks for your replies. Then, should I keep him in the water tonight? Is it OK to keep him in a cardboard box with a water dish? Or does he have to soak himself at least in the shallow water dish (as seen in the photos) tonight? What is your recommendation? He/she is the largest RES I've ever seen!