tortoise poo as plant nutrition?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
is recently got to talking to someone about need nutrition's for my plants in the indoor enclosure they mentioned using tortoise poo as a possible nutrition

any thoughts on how it could be harmful or good?

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
I hope it is good as fertilizer because I use it as fertilizer all the time. My biggest problem keeping the dog away from it.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I hope it is good as fertilizer because I use it as fertilizer all the time. My biggest problem keeping the dog away from it.

good to know. how do you do it just put it in the water you water with? i figured we use different types of manure to grow stuff why not tortoise manure lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I doubt it would be very nutritious for the plants, but it certainly wouldn't harm them.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They eat a plant heavy diet, makes a great fertilizer. provided they don't get to it first.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
i was thinking of putting it in the water i use to water the plants with you think that'd work?
You mean a tea? I just bury it, but a tea should work.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
is recently got to talking to someone about need nutrition's for my plants in the indoor enclosure they mentioned using tortoise poo as a possible nutrition

any thoughts on how it could be harmful or good?
would not use due to fear of parasite transmission especially in a closed system
in nature ground is constantly rinsed by elements but in captive quarters build up of pathogens and contagion is possible

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I put it in the hole when I'm planting a new tree or bush. I never use it on the surface or in a tortoise enclosure for fear of disease transmission, unless its poop from the tortoises that already live in that enclosure.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I put it in the hole when I'm planting a new tree or bush. I never use it on the surface or in a tortoise enclosure for fear of disease transmission, unless its poop from the tortoises that already live in that enclosure.
Given some parasites' direct life cycles, recycling and reinfection can occur even in tortoise's own enclosures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Given some parasites' direct life cycles, recycling and reinfection can occur even in tortoise's own enclosures.

Is reinfection likely when the poop is buried 2-3 feet deep in the ground with a tree or bush growing on top of it?

Further, can their be reinfection, if they are not infected with anything in the first place?

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Is reinfection likely when the poop is buried 2-3 feet deep in the ground with a tree or bush growing on top of it?

Further, can their be reinfection, if they are not infected with anything in the first place?

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Tom,
I'm not sure if parasite migration through depths of soil can happen. Parasite infection and reinfection generally occur at the soil surface when vegetation is ingested. If you can ever be absolutely certain that animals in a plot of land are completely parasite free, you might take the risk and let the waste lie where it falls. I don't. It's not worth the risk. But certainly use of tortoise waste for tree and shrub planting away from tortoise enclosures would be beneficial for the plants.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Cow poo shouldn't be used on root vegys and fresh cow poo should be composted be fore putting it on fresh seeded gardens it will burn the seedlings . That's why I compost it and a compost pile can reach temps of 180 degrees .

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon

it's THE tortoise that lives in the enclosure my only tortoise and he's been cleared by a vet. would you worry still?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
it's THE tortoise that lives in the enclosure my only tortoise and he's been cleared by a vet. would you worry still?

No I wouldn't worry about using that tortoises poo to fertilize plants in that tortoises enclosure.

No vet can "clear" a tortoises. There are far too many difficult to diagnose pathogens floating around out in the tortoise world right now. Just heard of another new one from another member a few days ago...

Alaskamike

South Florida
Grandpa Turtle gives the best advice Compost it I use it in my potted plants by mixing some in the water can, but the rest I just toss in the compost pile. All of it carries some pathogens, but for the most part the torts bodies handle it (just like ours do) I would not use it in an indoor closed system for reasons already stated - the life cycle of many invaders pass through the poop and multiply and invade again. A compost pile kills most eggs and in a weird way sanitizes the waste.

When I had my torts indoors I used miracle grow mixed with water to fertilize my indoor grasses in the enclosed box, worked well and I had no worry about it bothering the torts. The fertilizer you need to NOT USE is any that has a systemic bug repellent mixed in them to pull into the plant and repel insects, but actual pure fertilizer is not a problem. You can not use the kind of fertilizer that has little granules as the torts will eat it. (I'm sure you know all this, but I put it in here in case new people are reading this too)

There is a big difference between outside surrounds exposed to the sun / rain / deep soil and an indoor enclosure. The ecosystem in enclosed tort boxes is very delicate and the balance is harder to maintain. molds grow faster indoors with high humidity for instance some of the negative impacts in an indoor system are very subtle I cleaned my glass with a mix of a few drops of dawn dish soap + white vinegar rather than use a prepared cleaner for just that reason.