tortoise poo as plant nutrition?

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cow poo shouldn't be used on root vegys and fresh cow poo should be composted be fore putting it on fresh seeded gardens it will burn the seedlings . That's why I compost it and a compost pile can reach temps of 180 degrees .
Yep, composting is good and will generally clear pathogens if done right and allowed to reach killing temperatures and complete breakdown of material. And you're right, fresh manure will burn crops and seedlings especially when used as a top dressing. But Tom's use is not going to hurt anything. However all should be aware, all grazing animals in pastures are prone to infection and reinfection by parasites. That's why horses have to be wormed annually and rotated among different paddocks. To me it's not worth the risk to use turtle waste in turtle enclosures, inside or out, because of the risk of auto-inoculation.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
I agree. In the compost pile, it is a great activator of all those wonderful bacteria, mold and fungi that create compost faster for us.
And buried is also great. My roses love my neighbor's sulcata poop and I have been using it for years, I just dig it in about 3 inches from the trunk of each rose. There's always room for more in the perimeters.
What grows on the farm, should always go back to the farm. Good sustainable practice for every home.
And say thank you to your tortoise(s) for providing you with some good sheet, LOL! : )

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
well since it's not really safe to use it what could i give to plants in my indoor enclosure to help them grow that wouldn't be toxic to the tort?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
i'm not to familiar with that do i just run water through compost and collect the water?
You can buy it at some nurserys or you can make it by adding compost , molasses to water put a air stone on a air pump in the water and let the air mix it all up for 24 hours . And then just water your plants with the tea .

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
is recently got to talking to someone about need nutrition's for my plants in the indoor enclosure they mentioned using tortoise poo as a possible nutrition

any thoughts on how it could be harmful or good?

I would not use any tortoise/turtle poo in any other places where it may be contacted by another species of tortoise or plants consumed by multiple species...or can blow into another enclosure to present a cross contamination issue....