Tortoise safe pesticides

Doug Gosney

Location (City and/or State)
Houston
Hello there - wanted to see if anyone had a tortoise safe pesticide to recommend? My outdoor Redfoot enclosure is 400 square feet open air, but has the normal pests of mosquitoes, chiggers, and swarming small biting insects both for torts and me. Neem oil? Anyone have any go to pest controls that are tortoise safe? Thank you very much!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If its toxic to bugs, its toxic to tortoises. I got nothin'.

We planted citronella all around the back yard. I can't remember the last time I saw a mosquito out there, though admittedly, we don't have a lot of them here anyway.

Doug Gosney

Houston

We planted citronella all around the back yard. I can't remember the last time I saw a mosquito out there, though admittedly, we don't have a lot of them here anyway.

Doug Gosney

Houston

Thank you for quick reply. Appreciate it. Good idea on the cintronilla.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
That's a big space. Can you please take some pictures of the tortoise yard?

Doug Gosney

Houston
Thanks for the reply. Someone suggested diachotamus earth and cintronella rings. Here’s the enclosure. Adding plants, more grass, etc… as I go. Thanks!

Attachments

• 9AA58166-407B-4A40-B65F-A1776BA79BC3.jpeg
    9AA58166-407B-4A40-B65F-A1776BA79BC3.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 15

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
I tried diatomaceous earth in my hatchling enclosures to control fruit flys . It didn't work all that well for me.i spray myself with deet bug spray when working in my outdoor enclosures.

OliveW

Branford, FL
Would it be feasible to put a fan out to blow across the enclosure? Nothing insects hate worse than a breeze.