Tortoise-Safe ways to get rid of ants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antoniocormier

5 Year Member
I've noticed a lot of small ants have been getting into my tortoises outdoor enclosure. Is there any way to get rid of them without poisons? I've read that boiling water works on the hills but there aren't any inside the enclosure. I've also read that mint plants work well. What is a good mint plant that I can plant inside/outside of the enclosure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Where are you and what type of ants. Different strategies work for different ants. I've had good success with Terro Ant Baits. There are basically sugar water and boric acid, so non toxic if torts or other pets accidentally get into them somehow.

antoniocormier

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Where are you and what type of ants. Different strategies work for different ants. I've had good success with Terro Ant Baits. There are basically sugar water and boric acid, so non toxic if torts or other pets accidentally get into them somehow.

I'm in Louisiana and its only a few. It isn't really a huge problem I just don't want them to hurt my tortoise or anything.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are these fire ants? Little red ones? When you see a few, millions are likely close by...

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Diatomaceous Earth is a good way to get rid of ants and it doesn't hurt the torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.