Tortoise scrapes shell on terracotta bowls. Will it cause damage?

Stoneman

Location (City and/or State)
Pacific Northwest, United States
My indian star male often prowls his territory, and scrapes his shell on the bowls. Should I be concerned about this? It is very flat and smooth. I am worried it will go beyond the keratin and into the bone or other tissue.

20190202_045306.jpg 20190202_045256.jpg 20190202_045244.jpg 20190202_045223.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
(I don't know if you noticed, but you've got yourself a little BOY there!)

This is one reason why I use the plastic type of plant saucer instead of the clay saucers. No scrapes. And if you buy the orange colored ones they look just like clay.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
From personal experience with a male that had to patrol boundaries constantly... and we had Joe 47 years. Yes, abrasion occurs, however a terracotta plant saucer is very unlikely to cause serious damage just surface scratching.

If something like a water bowl is obstructing a stomping route then relocate it. Put the dish in the middle of the enclosure rather than the edge or in a corner. Boundaries are for patrolling, so don't put things on a boundary that you don't want marched through over.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
From personal experience with a male that had to patrol boundaries constantly... and we had Joe 47 years. Yes, abrasion occurs, however a terracotta plant saucer is very unlikely to cause serious damage just surface scratching.

If something like a water bowl is obstructing a stomping route then relocate it. Put the dish in the middle of the enclosure rather than the edge or in a corner. Boundaries are for patrolling, so don't put things on a boundary that you don't want marched through over.

• I was thinking the same exact thing. Also, what’s the overall size of the enclosure, and, is the saucer level down in the substrate, or just sitting on top? I’m thinking a few tweaks and problem is solved. Good luck!