Tortoise shipping/travel in Italy

ChealsJ

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
I'm not sure if anyone has experience with this, but I have two 1yr old Redfoot tortoises that I'm rehoming in Italy, but I'm having a hard time finding transport from their current location to their new home. I'm willing to go through a pet courier, or ship them overnight but I'm just having a hard time finding any information (I'm currently located in the US, hence the rehoming). Any help would be immensely appreciated.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Here's a thread that talks about shipping between countries. It's an extensive and expensive process.

ChealsJ

South Carolina
Here's a thread that talks about shipping between countries. It's an extensive and expensive process.

Thanks for your response. I apologize, I need to be more specific. The tortoises are actually staying in Italy- they're just moving from North to South.

Last edited:

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
I see, I was confused since your profile says you are from South Carolina, so I thought you were sending two tortoises to Italy from South Carolina.

I'm not sure about special processes in Italy. In the US, tortoises can be shipped overnight by FedEx, UPS etc.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Torts should never be kept in pairs and Russians especially are very aggressive towards others in their space, so I wonder if they need to be packed separately to reduce the stress and to avoid the chances of one biting and injuring the other. Maybe two smaller containers inside a larger one.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Torts should never be kept in pairs and Russians especially are very aggressive towards others in their space, so I wonder if they need to be packed separately to reduce the stress and to avoid the chances of one biting and injuring the other. Maybe two smaller containers inside a larger one.
They are Redfoot not Russians. However, I agree they should be shipped in their own container or a big container with a divider.

ChealsJ

South Carolina

I have separate containers for them- I was originally going to have them shipped to me in SC, so they've got shipping containers, heat packs, etc. It's really just the transport itself- I've contacted a few courier companies but haven't gotten much in response.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have separate containers for them- I was originally going to have them shipped to me in SC, so they've got shipping containers, heat packs, etc. It's really just the transport itself- I've contacted a few courier companies but haven't gotten much in response.
Italy is only a little over 700 miles from North to South at the most. You can drive it in one day. Get a rental car if you don't have one, put each tortoise in a dark plastic box with a lid and a towel, and drive them. Use the car's heating and cooling system to keep the car the correct temperature.

Why risk them in someone else's hands?

ChealsJ

South Carolina
Italy is only a little over 700 miles from North to South at the most. You can drive it in one day. Get a rental car if you don't have one, put each tortoise in a dark plastic box with a lid and a towel, and drive them. Use the car's heating and cooling system to keep the car the correct temperature.

Why risk them in someone else's hands?

I'm not physically there and their current caretaker is unable to due to Covid restrictions.