Tortoise showed up! Now what?

squirt_the_duck

5 Year Member
Aloha fellow wildlife lovers! I live on a 5-acre property in Hawaii that is a certified wildlife habitat. Three days ago, a juvenile tortoise showed up in a park-like area of the property under a starfruit tree. He or she has been hanging out there ever since, ranging only about 20 feet but mostly staying under the tree in the long grass. I've been taking it water and lettuce, and sometimes a grape. Occassionally it sticks its head out briefly to see what's going on, then withdraws into its shell. It seems to have been eating some of the lettuce. It has all the star fruit it wants to eat, as the fruit has been dropping prolifically of late.

What should I do? Leave it be in the wild, and continue taking it water and lettuce? Or put it in an enclosure to protect it from predators? In Hawaii, we have io (hawks), owls, and the usual stray dogs and cats, which might present a danger in the wild.

Or should I advertise for a more knowledgeable tortoise-lover on the island to adopt it?

I wouldn't mind caring for it under if I knew how, but I have no experience in tortoise-raising (other than the usual traditional childhood pet turtles that ended up getting flushed down the toilet after 2 weeks).

Any advice is appreciated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Aloha and E komo mai. Please post a pic of the tortoise so we can advise on the care it will need. I would take it in and keep it or rehome it.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Land Tortoises native to Hawaii?? I did some fast research and didn't find anything other than several pet Sulcata's. The weather there in Hawaii would be wonderful for Sulcatas. I'm really curious to see what sort of Tortoise you've found there. Please post pics. Everyone will be able to give you much better advice once we all know what the species is and what condition it appears to be in. Star Fruit falling from the tree could injur the tortoise so keep a close eye on it.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Hello :) If its not a tort thats indigenous to Hawaii please try to keep it safe from predators. Untill you either find the owner or decide to keep it or rather adopt it out. Please post pics so we can decide what kind of tort it is. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, in the mean time, fruit is not hat good for tortoises. So, yes, please keep giving him water and bring dark leafy greens, not just lettuce though if you can. Also, hibiscus flowers and leaf, cactus pads can be fed too. Check out this site for other edible items you may have growing on the island. http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/tortoise_home_1.asp

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please pick up that tortoise before he gets away and put him in a safe place. Then advertise that you have found a tortoise. Don't put too much info in the ad, as there are a lot of unscrupulous folks out there who say it's their tortoise simply to get something free. Make the callers I.D. the tortoise. You can also put up fliers on the utility poles around the neighborhood where you found the tortoise. Advertise in the paper, on craigslist, etc.

But post a picture here so we can help you know what kind it is.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
wellington said:
Also, in the mean time, fruit is not hat good for tortoises.

That would depend on what kind of tortoise has been found.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A non-naitve species should not be left loose running around. Please catch it up and give it to someone before it gets away. Today might be the day it chooses NOT to stay in that area.

squirt_the_duck

5 Year Member
tortoise.jpg
We found it this morning and put it in a pen where our ducks used to be housed. There's not much to see in the photo except his shell. Any suggestions on how to care for him/her?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's a water turtle. Is there a pond or body of fresh water, creek, etc. near your property? It isn't native to Hawaii, and you should try to find a turtle rescue and turn it in. Don't release it.

squirt_the_duck

5 Year Member
Apparently, our certified wildlife habitat is now the de facto tortoise rescue for the Big Island.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Jacqui said:
wellington said:
Also, in the mean time, fruit is not hat good for tortoises.

That would depend on what kind of tortoise has been found.

Except, it sounds like that's all the tort has been eating, except the occasional lettuce.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
That's not a tortoise, it's a red eared or yellow belly slider turtle! He needs lots of water for swimming around! They are omnivores. :p