Tortoise species 12 inch and under?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anm1221

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Looking to buy my first tortoise soon and I am trying to narrow down the breeds to choose from. I know I cant keep anything really big so I know types like Sulcata's aren't for me. Once I have a breed picked out I plan to start working on the beggining parts such as my enclosure and types of foods to get so i can have everything set up and prepared before i even go ahead and purchase the little fella. I'm probably going to purchase online hopefully from a good breeder on here. I have heard good things about TortoiseSupply, so i might look into that. but first things first is deciding a breed. I Live in Maryland if weather makes a difference for any breeds referred.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Tortoise breeds 12 inch and under?

Russian and hermanns and Greeks are the smaller that I know. I just don't know what their adult sizes are. They are the smaller ones though.

anm1221

5 Year Member
Maryland

Thanks for responding! Yes they are the only ones I have heard about that are the smaller kinds. If I remember right from my research, Greeks and Russians get about 6 to 8 inches. I don't know how big the hermans get.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona

I would look into Russians, Marginateds, Hermanns, and Ibera Greeks. All are extremely cold hardy and all will stay under 12".

anm1221

5 Year Member
Maryland

Thanks! I'm looking to start out with one of these little guys until I get my own place and can get bigger guys to play with lol

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA

anm1221 said:
Thanks! I'm looking to start out with one of these little guys until I get my own place and can get bigger guys to play with lol

I have a similar game plan :) I have a Hermann now, but once I get out of apartment living and have my own house/yard I plan on getting some bigger friends!

I have an adult male Dalmatian Hermann and he is only 5-5.5". Nice and small!

anm1221

5 Year Member
Maryland

A Dalmation Herman? aww sounds cute. And see it's all about the planss

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
My Elsa is an Eastern Hermann's. She's 5.5 inches long now and will get up to 8-10 inches once she's full grown. I wanted my first tortoise experience to be as easy and low stress as possible, so I did NOT get a hatchling. Elsa was 4 inches long when I got her, 4 months ago. Although that means she's probably about 3 years old, she comes to me when I reach in her enclosure (looking for food, no doubt!) and eats from my hand. When I stroke her head with my finger, she sticks her head out farther, as if she enjoys it. I'm VERY happy with her- she was the perfect tort for me! Good luck in deciding on your new buddy!:)

anm1221

5 Year Member
Maryland
I heard its not good to get a hatchling. Some people have told me to start out with something maybe a couple months old.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
If you go with a Russian or Greek (maybe Herman too) you can find wild caught adults for sale locally relatively easy. They would be the easiest to care for.

Getting a tortoise that is a "couple of months old" IS getting a hatchling.

If you don't feel up to the challenges of raising a hatchling, you can get a yearling or juvenile. 1 to 3 or so years old.

Good luck :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas

anm1221 said:
Thanks for responding! Yes they are the only ones I have heard about that are the smaller kinds. If I remember right from my research, Greeks and Russians get about 6 to 8 inches. I don't know how big the hermans get.

Greeks and Hermann's get up to 11" or so (females), Russians top out at about 8" (again, females).

Males Greeks and Hermann's top out a little smaller, around 6-7", and Russian males are equally smaller than the females, perhaps 5-6".

Maginateds get somewhat longer, with a really big female sometimes reaching 14", males topping out at 11" or so. OTOH, many marginateds never go beyond 11-12".

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.